Buying new/upgrading my computer - migration advice, please

I have my significant multiple Orbx products on my current i7 computer, with Central installed.

I have FSX, P3Dv2 and X-Plane installed on this machine....all works well. 

I have just purchased a new i9 machine and rather than just clone all of my current Sim structures & domestic progs  to the new one, I will take this opportunity to RE-install ONLY P3Dv2 on my new one....PLUS I will then be (newly) purchasing P3Dv4-(64bit) to use on it.   (I no longer use/enjoy FSX/X-Plane!)   However, WHEN my new machine is 100% working I will be clearing my old one out and disposing of it....but, that could take me a good couple of weeks to achieve!    And then i MIGHT later be tempted to also install MS2020!!

As an avid on-line simmer, I am actually trying to avoid problems or disruptions with this project, so I am seeking your early advice - and any pointers, hints or links - most especially about (temporarily!!) having two versions of P3Dv2 on my (personal) two machines.   Clearly I will - eventually!! - have my Central on only the new machine and will then only be updating THAT one.

Any pointers you can offer would be much appreciated - both from Admin/Orbx Team and from other Forum Members who may have faced similar issues!

Thanks

Mac@Bath

Thanks for prompt response, Nick.....this was my primary motivation for seeking EARLY advice!

I'm on line simming (with various groups) 7-days/week......

I don't fancy ADDING my new P3Dv4 to my already well over-cluttered older machine (and thus updating FOUR sims each time!!)

When my migration is complete, then i will NOT have any sim on two machines.....only my new i9.

Mac

Hello Mac. 

My little advice would be to keep your p3dv2 on the old computer and only there.  Once your v4 is installed with bells and whistles on your new one you can get rid of the v2 and old computer. No service interruption and very simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,    An update.....!

My shiny new i9/2080 machine is delivered and much of my pre-owned transfers have been completed.

Suitably (very!) impressed with the P3d4 and entirely happy with the 100% "automatic" recognition of my multiple Orbx purchases.....

…..with ONE "reservation" !!

Scenery "layering" has thrown a totally alien concept - namely that V4 seems to care zilch about the order of my scenery, BUT, although I have ticked the provision to have my multiple UK2000 Extreme airfields at the top of the list (with all Orbx below them), it does NOT seem possible to highlight (eg) UK2000 'Common Library' and to move it BELOW the 10 airports - where (I am assured) it requires to be located!   

Any thoughts???

(btw, Chacal, I have taken your advice and ONLY put v4 on my new rig!! :D )

Mac

(Screenies of my home-field (EGGD) & London City....locked at 30fps - enjoy)

2020-3-28_20-46-24-549.jpg

2020-3-29_21-17-38-715.jpg

2020-3-29_21-21-52-391 (2).jpg

Archived