FSX SE, Windows 10, Orbx - Ready to Give Up!

Hello Everyone

I have spent the last two weeks desperately trying to get my system working and I have hit a wall.  I am always loathe to post support requests quickly, when there could be a wealth of information already out there...   but I am honestly stumped.

I have tried everything I have read through, and still no luck... so here goes

I used to have FSX Gold Ed loaded, with Australian landscapes - in fact I have been a supporter of the platform since the OZx days, and it worked perfectly so I know the value of the platform...  I also used to have a different email address (netspace.net.au, same name:glithen).

Anyway...  I uninstalled everything and moved to XPLANE, and immediately stopped because I couldnt get the framerates right and it was way to resource intensive for my system.   Then uninstalled XPLANE and went with FSX Steam Edition.    Loaded on the ORBX libraries, the base pack, Vectors, openLC, Airport Pack and then EU England pack...

OPening Central, it found FSX SE and proceeded to install. 

In Central, it points to c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX as the install path for BASE Pack etc.  This is indeed where FSXSE was installed

It didnt work - no features were visible when I did a local flight out of white waltham.

I uninstalled, clean the registry as per some of the posts I found, reinstalled....  nothing...

I tried to manually copy config files... nothing

I uninstalled and tried again...  this is where I am at now...  nothing!

Please help - desperately want to get this up and running :(

Thanks so much

Kevin Ross

Hello Kevin,

it could be that Orbx Central is writing to a scenery.cfg file that the simulator is not looking at.

Do you have both C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX and C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX-SE folders?

If so, can you attach the scenery.cfg files from each folder please?

EDITED to make more sense~~

Hi Nick, thank you for replying to promptly....

I do have both yes, and in fact copied the config file from the programdata directry across to the steam directry, still no luck...  but here are three files:
 - original config file from program data directory

- original from the program files (x86) directory under steam/steamapps/fsx

- copied file (same as programdata file) now in steam directory....

hope this helps?

scenery - Copy from programdata-microsoft-fsx directory.cfg scenery-original from programfilesx86-steam-steamapps-common-fsx.cfg scenery - Copy now used as scenerycfg in the steamapps-common-fsx folder.cfg

Thanks.

I wonder what the copy in C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX-SE looks like?

The simulator does not use this one at all.

scenery - Copy now used as scenerycfg in the steamapps-common-fsx folder

Try putting the one in C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX into C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Hello,

that all looks good, EGLM is White Waltham, you mentioned it here

It didnt work - no features were visible when I did a local flight out of white waltham.

Make sure that your autogen and scenery complexity settings are as high as they will go.

Nick here is the view (screenshot) on climb out of WW.  Yex EGLM - I expect this is not correct?  It seems the water / trees / roads etc are not rendering well, and the scenery itself is like default MS FSX.  I know the Orbx scenery and it is usually amazing!

scenery on climb out of WW.jpg

Hi Nick - I dont mean to argue directly but surely that can't be... when I  lived and flew in Australia the scenery was truly magnificent.  The UK scenery screenshots on the ORBX website are amazing - I am seeing nothing like this, and honestly not that different to vanilla FSX?

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Nick

Yes - confirmed that is what I see, so it looks like you're spot on...   I just remember the roads and rivers being much crisper and more realistic... could it be the VECTOR install is not right?  

So much thanks for the replies btw - I genuinely appreciate that you took the time to actually fly out of EGLM for me... albeit in a DC3 (respect!)

I did a flight from Waltham to Shoreham and even the coastline water / roads looked non-Orbx like

Cheers

Kevin

Archived