How does Orbx plan to cover the US?

solareagle

I noticed the Pacific Northwest coverage area is very tiny, about half of one state, which means we need 50-80 more pieces of that size to over the US.  So I'm curious how the US coverage will work, since the Australian coverage happens with only 4 big chunks.

I guess later releases will cover more area, but will they be less detailed?  I wonder if the first release is meant to be more spectacular then the others follow on not exibiting the same detail.  If the rest will have the same detail why is the first so small? 

Thanks.

Actually FTX US BLUE covers quite a large area, including parts of British Columbia Canada, Washington USA and Oregon USA. It may not be as large as say, Texas, but it's one of the most diverse and incredibly beautiful areas to fly anywhere in the world, with literally hundreds upon hundreds of airports to choose from and also a wealth of water-based aviation and bush flying.  I can assure it will be spectacular once it's been given the FTX treatment, and the FTX Freeware airports for the region will be sure to delight many pilots.

Other regions for the USA will of course be much larger, depending on their geographical location. The midwest for instance, can use a similar pallette of textures, thus allowing us to release a much larger area. Our reason for going with PNW first is simple: we're biased toward this area as it's one of our favourite areas to fly in North America, as I am sure it is for the majority of simmers.

post-1-130203880769_thumb.jpg

I remember the Flight Unlimited series covered parts of this area in pretty high detail (for the time).  It is what got me hooked into VFR flying in the sims.  I'm excited that this area will be given the FTX treatement.  I can't wait!

Well I would certainly say the PNW is a great choice! Until AU BLUE was released I flew almost exclusivly in Holgers Vancouver+ scenery area, so I'm having a hard time waiting for US BLUE.  For me its all about the gorgeous scenery, mountains, valleys, and water features, even the plains contrasted with with mountains are spectacular.  I'd say the PNW area has to be one of the best looking in the world. 

I hope Pitt Meadows gets some special treatment!!!  Hopefully with some high resolution photo textures like what Vancouver+ has, as it's my favorite place to fly from in that area.

John,

When you get to the Midwest, let me know, I am more than happy to take any aerial pics you need or building pics, one of my pet peeves about VFR flying here is lack of realistic VFR points, I am aware it will probably be a while, just keep it in mind!

Personally, I am a bit BIASED towards the PNW. I got my ticket at a small sirport in Spanaway ( S44 ) and have taken the $100 dollar hamburger hop to the majority of airports in the PNW. Example: If I depart Spanaway, I contact McChord Air Force Base and request a mid-field crossing headed west. Within 5 minutes I am over Ketron Island and the Puget Sound. There, I can fly north over Vashon Island and scoot up towards Port Townsend for a great breakfast. Even better yet, I can go to the Bremerton Airport and have the ABSOLUTE BEST fish & chips you"ve ever eaten.

If I get a wild hair up my butt, I can scoot over to the coast ( 20 minutes ) and fly up and down the beach. If I head east out of Spanaway, I am in the mountains in 10 minutes. Believe me, when you fly around Mount Rainier so close that you can grab a snowball, it will leave you weak in the knees for months. It is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. I'm hoping that I get called upon to help test this area. I'm salivating at the thought.

One final note: If the PNW is anything like AUBlue, this area is gonna rock your world. IMHO.

I can go to the Bremerton Airport and have the ABSOLUTE BEST fish & chips you"ve ever eaten.

Boy I don't know about that, I'm from the US Midwest and when I was in New Zealand I had fish and chips in Havelock, and it seemed pretty clear at the time that its not possible to get better tasting fish anywhere else in the world, and thats comming from a guy who has been eating fresh water walleye his whole life. lol

Archived