XP11 CTD because an unnecessary ORBX file

rio gerard

Hello,

Last days I was having a lot of CTD not only when trying to load some ORBX scenery. One of these CTDs log files indicates there is a problem with an ORBX file which seems not normal as no ORBX scenery was the final target of this loading. The link below corresponds to this file.

Now these CTDs problems have been solved only by launching and running x-plane under the full screen mode. Nevertheless, I would like to understand why the Full Screen mode instead of the Windowed mode I used before has solved all problems. I guess it is mainly because an increase in the number of installed plugins. Thank you very much for more explanations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldtrzks71mcq93n/Log_CTD_8.txt?dl=0

Best regards

4 hours ago, rio gerard said:

Hello,

Last days I was having a lot of CTD not only when trying to load some ORBX scenery. One of these CTDs log files indicates there is a problem with an ORBX file which seems not normal as no ORBX scenery was the final target of this loading. The link below corresponds to this file.

Now these CTDs problems have been solved only by launching and running x-plane under the full screen mode. Nevertheless, I would like to understand why the Full Screen mode instead of the Windowed mode I used before has solved all problems. I guess it is mainly because an increase in the number of installed plugins. Thank you very much for more explanations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldtrzks71mcq93n/Log_CTD_8.txt?dl=0

Best regards

You only have a few Orbx addons and except for a couple of notifications that Ground Traffic.txt cannot be found, I see no link at all between Orbx and your current Windowed/Full Screen problem.

I note also that your scenery_packs layering, if it is in the order as listed in your attached Log file is correct, is totally wrongly layered. It shows that Orbx Central would not have layered the addons in the SceneryPack like it is shown in the Log.

Please attach your scenery_packs.ini from Custom Scenery so i can verify it. It may have some influence as to why you have had a problem.

Hello,

Thank you for answering. Most of times XP11 is launched via the “Scenery Manager” software and the scenery_packs.ini is created each time. I don’t remember exactly what was the SM configuration before launching the XP11 session associated with the Log_CTD_8.txt file.

I have almost all XP11 ORBX addons but I prefer selecting only those corresponding to my present preferred flight areas. I think it is better for limiting the loading time: perhaps am I wrong? I did not purchase the last TE & HD & SD products because of their too big size (more than 100 GB is not reasonable/possible with respect to my connection).

Nevertheless, I join the last scenery_packs.ini which may be not different from the one used for Log_CTD_8 session. I think it is now not so important as everything is OK when using Full Screen mode and my question is rather relative to the possible problems, as those I encountered, caused by the Windowed mode.

Thank you again for your explanations.

Best regards

scenery_packs.ini

I thought it looked like you were using a scenery organiser like X-Organiser or Scenery Manager. Unfortunately it is placing the True Earth Orbx addons completely in the wrong place. I will not change your scenery_packs.ini as you say all is working OK for you. I just remind you that ALL the True Earth addons need to be directly under Global Airports and positioned together like in my example below and your's are not. This is guaranteed to eventually cause problems.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/

If you don't have them layered as my example you will get anomalies occurring and I will not be able to support you when they do happen. Orbx Central did not install your Orbx addons in the manner in which they are layered in your scenery_packs.ini.

Anyway i am very glad you XP is working fine at the moment, and to say that I have no idea why it crashes in window mode but is fine in Full screen, other than it was not caused by any Orbx addon.

Hello,

Thank you again for answering. Because of priority order I was obliged to rename Global Airports in VGlobal Airport. In this case what about the rule you mentioned in your answer?

A similar action was needed with “LOWI Demo Area” I had to rename in “VLOWI Demo Area” for being able to fly on ORBX LOWI addon.

I’m surprised you have no comments on the differences between Full mode and Windowed mode when using W10. I use also XP11 under linux (dual boot on the same computer) and there is no difference between both modes.

I never thought the CTD problem was coming from an ORBX addon but as one was mentioned in a log after CTD …

Best regards

You are using 3rd party scenery configuration software which personally I find is not always compatible with Orbx addons due to the way that Orbx central will load addons into the scenery pack versus how the other software will load/layer them.

I have all the Orbx addons and over 4TB of additional non Orbx addon scenery spread over 3 Disks ranging from NVME2 to SSD, SHDD and external HD. I never used an scenery organiser and I will load a flight in under 3 minutes wherever the flight location is. HD will take longer than SD to load. This location varies from Default scenery , ortho4xp scenery to Orbx HD TE scenery and Orbx SD TE scenery. Therefore I can conclude that the scenery software programme does not speed up loading a flight for example. I never rename files to things like VLowi or VGlobal Airports as it is totally unnecessary and can eventually potentially cause problems. The only additional renaming of a file I do is with a 3rd party airport and I rename it as Airport- as shown below. The main reason is that because the prefix begins with A (as in Airport) it will always be layered in the scenery_packs.ini as the top above Global Airports, which is where 3rd party airport addons need to be.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Airport-EGNT tdg/

You are happy using a scenery programme and that is your choice. In my opinion I would never find the need for such a programme as I am constantly seeing scenery_packs.ini with completely wrong layering as a result of using such programmes and the potential anomalies the incorrect layering can cause.

I had no comment to make about the Windowed or Full screen issue other than it is not related to Orbx, and this being an Orbx product in XP support forum it was not for me to investigate beyond seeing if Orbx was responsible.

I suggest if you want a better investigation it may be best to post your query on the XP.org forum.

Regarding LOWI demo, you can remove it if you have Orbx LOWI so no need to rename it all.

I finish by saying again that you scenery_packs.ini that you have attached is completely wrongly layered and this is caused by your scenery manager software. I am only speaking about my concern for your Orbx scenery which is wrongly placed.

ALL Orbx TE series addons MUST be UNDER Global Airports for them to work properly. Your TEGB South is layered ABOVE Global Airports.

You have simheaven X-Europe above Global Airports, it should be below. Here is how a scenery pack should be layered from Top down and then check if yours conforms to the format:

1. 3rd party airports (non default airports)

2. Global Airports

3. Orbx True Earth addons in the A,B,C sequence

4. Scenery enhancements like X-Europe, VFR POI's etc

5. I suggest All libraries. They can go anywhere but it makes sense to have them altogether and out of the way of the main Airports addons /default and True Earth.

6. XP overlays (if applicable)

7. Ortho4xp photo scenery

8. 3rd party mesh like UHD and Global mesh

Archived