How to reinstall FSX SE, after a clean install of Windows 10, but without having uninstalled FSX SE before the clean install of Windows 10?

Hi,

I am soon to upgrade from Win 7 pro to Win 10 Pro. I have only FSX Steam, and several Orbx and other developers' addons.

Say I do the upgrade, but there are problems... Chillblast, where I got my PC, say in this case a clean install of Win 10 is best.

I have the OS on C: and FSX Steam on D:

Say I do a clean Win 10 pro install, C: will be wiped , but D: will remain, however, all FS programs on C: will have been deleted. FSX will remain on D: perhaps as a zombie.

In this case, I would not have uninstalled addons, then FSX SE.

From there, what can I do to reinstall FSX Steam? Can I just delete ...\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX and then reinstall FSX SE from the Steam program, then install all my addons?

Would this fail?

I would rather not uninstall FSX before the upgrade, in case there are no problems.

So the question is: How to reinstall FSX SE, after a clean install of Windows 10, but without having uninstalled FSX SE before the clean install of Windows 10?

Raymond

Hello Raymond.

There is a work around.

Install Windows 10.

Rename your FSX folder to say FSX.old.

Install FSX-SE again to exactly the same location as it is in now.

Delete the new FSX folder and rename your original back to FSX.

Install Orbx Central.

Run it and it should detect the same location, see all the files there and work as before.  

Hi Nick,

Thank you Nick.

So it should work for Orbx, but what about other addons, via .exe installer? The uninstaller would be gone (in case of clean Win 10 install), and the registry would not have the values from the installer... Should I just run the installers over for these ones?

Also, in Steam, it seems you need to uninstall first to be able to re-install

image.png.e0c633a6ef33460a56a0e5895bb1c459.png

How do I reinstall FSX SE again to exactly the same location as it is in now?

There is no Install option...

image.png.557b7adf1de260f49b225077933e2629.png

I guess I am not the only one at the moment having this question...

Kind regards,

Raymond

Hello,

thank you for all the questions.

The idea is for you to keep your existing FSX-SE installation but use the work around to

replace the registry entries without installing a new copy over the existing one.

You will need to protect your installation from being uninstalled.

If you feel that you must run the installer, you can do this by renaming the FSX folder

to say FSX.old, create a new and empty FSX folder and then uninstall FSX-SE.

Indeed you do have an option to choose where to install it but you cannot choose that

from a copy that is already installed.

I am not qualified to comment on other addons that you may have, not least because

I have no idea what they might be. In the case of payware aircraft, reinstallation will very

probably be required to replace their licences.

Orbx software licences are stored at Orbx Direct and so a reinstallation to restore the

licences is not necessary.

If you feel that my advice is invalid, by all means replace your operating system and

then install FSX-SE again, followed by all your add ons.

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

If you feel that my advice is invalid, by all means replace your operating system and

then install FSX-SE again, followed by all your add ons.

Well, I may have to.

But my question is: Will I be able to install FSX-SE again, followed by all my add ons, ie if I do not first uninstall FSX SE and all addons before installing Win 10, as it will still be on the D: drive? Will Steam allow to install? Because the FSX folder will still be on D:

What about addons? OK for ORBX , but those from exe installers: can I just re-run the installers and put the key when one is needed? No need to uninstall them first? Then I won't be able to uninstall them, as C: will have been just wiped and Win 10 installed...

• 4 months later...

Nick, 

A few days ago my FSX Steam edition did not not  beyond the initial screen for no apparent reason. I have been several days  looking    in the internet  for a solution. After trying a few ones that did not work, I came to the conclusions that the only effective one (as suggested by many people,) was to uninstall FSX SE and reinstalling it, which meant losing all my addons or going through the painful and slow task of backing aboud 300, GB of files. While looking for a solution that would permit the reinstall without losing the addons, I came across this thread. So I followed your instructions, and FSX is again up and running.

It is so simple that I wonder how people who pretend to be experts have not been able to recommend it. 

Thank you. 

Eduardo S. de Erice

Madrid

PS: One of the places I was looking for a solution was the Steam Forum, totally useless. 

Archived