Library Install or Migration unavailable for EGTH Old Warden

Ace-9

Operating system: Windows 10 : - Version 1909 - 18363.535  

Simulator: Prepar3D v4.5.13.32097

Screenshot:  

Issue: I am not given the option to install EGTH to my library, I have uninstalled and reinstalled / deleted my scenery.cfg and Prepar3D.cfg then rebooted P3D. Also I have several folders remaining in my P3D installation, I guess these should be in the Library as well, they were replaced after  manually deleted them.

H8SZywR.jpg

CJUiIn9.jpg

central.log add-ons.cfg

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately, EGTH is one of the few sceneries that does not work when installed to a library - it must be installed into the Prepar3D folder.

As for the remaining files in your simulator directory, these are normal remnants of migration. They can safely be ignored.

Hi Ben.

:D Many thanks for the quick reply, just my luck out of the numerous Orbx products I own. 

Having installed many add-ons manually (via the add-on.xml system) outside of the P3D folder, including complete packages with Gauges, Effects, Sound, an extreme example being the Offshore Development Group North Sea Oil Rigs which is a complete nightmare at the best of times, I have it working a treat in P3Dv4.5 it resides in library on a separate drive by way of the add-on.xml system. Just Flights Rescue Pilot is another.

I am intrigued, :unsure: please can you explain the reason why EGTH cannot be installed in to a library by the xml add on method? 

Safely ignored, :o but these files were manually deleted by me and Central 4 came along and rebuilt them. If they can be safely ignored, why did Central 4 put them back ?

All the very best.

Roger

PS. Appologies for being contradictory but as I was writing I decided to test a theory. 30 minutes later and I have manually installed and function tested EGTH in to my Add On Library :) It is possible after all ! I set the wind to 38kts and the windsock near blew away ! 

So I do not understand what you are saying im afraid! It is possible, but now Central 4 will probably have a hissy fit when I start it. 

I am sorry to disagree with you Ben, but there should be absolutely nothing to do with Orbx inside the P3D folder, there simply is no reason that I can see, therefore the files you say "are safe to ignore" should not be there, I stand to be corrected. 

The entries in Light Green should not be there

coHUZcJ.jpg

A Screen shot of Lorbi Addon organiser for P3D after my manual xml additions and placing things in the correct folder structure.

cnSQQ5S.jpg

A Screenshot of the P3D Scenery control panel, you will see EGTH greyed out indicating its installed by xml add on files.

GZXsO9N.jpg

Screenshot of Old Warden from the Air after manual instal by xml add on files.

ridOmKV.jpg

And one on the ground.

rGSz6yJ.jpg

Ben please, this has not been answered or resolved and yet I have just noticed that you have switched the "Answered tag" on the post, specially in view of the fact that I have managed to do what you said was not possible. 

45 minutes ago, Ace-9 said:

I am intrigued, :unsure: please can you explain the reason why EGTH cannot be installed in to a library by the xml add on method? 

Many users were experiencing elevation issues when EGTH was installed into a library. Installing EGTH into the simulator works for 100% of the users, and installing it into a library doesn't work for them all - I'm sure you can see the logic in supporting the option that works for all EGTH customers.

If you've got it installed as an add-on package it will still work. You just won't get updates for it if they're released.

45 minutes ago, Ace-9 said:

I am sorry to disagree with you Ben, but there should be absolutely nothing to do with Orbx inside the P3D folder, there simply is no reason that I can see, therefore the files you say "are safe to ignore" should not be there, I stand to be corrected. 

After checking your log file, I can see you have a few products installed into the Prepar3D root:

2020-01-06T19:13:45.984Z [DEBUG] [Central::ProductService] - YLIL Lilydale Airport (Orbx YLIL Lilydale Airport 2.0.1 - July 2019) - Legacy - F:\FS-P3dv4\
2020-01-06T19:13:45.984Z [DEBUG] [Central::ProductService] - YMLT Launceston Airport (FTX AU YMLT VERSION 2.5 (SP3) October2009) - Legacy - F:\FS-P3dv4\
2020-01-06T19:13:45.984Z [DEBUG] [Central::ProductService] - EGTH Old Warden Aerodrome (FTX EU EGTH OLD WARDEN  1.15 December 2014) - Legacy - F:\FS-P3dv4\
2020-01-06T19:13:45.984Z [DEBUG] [Central::ProductService] - EU Germany South (FTX EU GES Germany South 1.10 December 2017) - Legacy - F:\FS-P3dv4\
2020-01-06T19:13:45.985Z [DEBUG] [Central::ProductService] - Global BASE Pack (Orbx Global BASE Pack 1.4.3 - August 2019) - Legacy - F:\FS-P3dv4\

One of them is Orbx Global BASE, which is responsible for the light green entries you saw in the Lorby-SI Addon Organiser. Global BASE cannot currently be moved to a library, but we aim to support that in the future.

Furthermore, you don't need to send PMs to get people to look at your topic again. All of our team look at this subforum daily.

Surely, its better to find out why EGTH fails to work and fix the problem and have a product that complies with the prefered way of Lockheed Martin to install add ons. Orbx is way behind the curve and supposed to be the best of the best, and untill now that was my stance.

I PMed you because you had marked the post Answered and it is not answered as far as I am concerned. I have invested alot of money in Orbx and expect it to work the way its is advertised and not find out that some things dont work as they should after spending £200 last week end. I dont appreciate being brushed off the way it appears you have done to this issue. You chose not to give me the full facts.

A2A were right on the game and have had installers installing their aircraft the LM prefered way from the beginning as have many other Add on suppliers, 

I know what the light green entries are and they should not be there because every Item I own was uninstalled and reinstalled / migrated to the Add on folder. Which is where they are now. So why are they duplicated in the P3D folder after I manually deleted it, Including YLIL / YMTL / EU Germany and now manually moved EGTH. Central 4 put them back as dulpicates as denoted by the (1) (2) tags.

I am not happy that EGTH etc. cannot be in the Add on folder which is where Central 4 is supposed to put it. I dont see that where the storage location of software can make a diffrence to elevation parameters? That does not make logical scence to me. A file is a file no matter where it is stored and its storage location cannot make a diffrence to how it functions.

17 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately, EGTH is one of the few sceneries that does not work when installed to a library - it must be installed into the Prepar3D folder.

As for the remaining files in your simulator directory, these are normal remnants of migration. They can safely be ignored.

The link below is not the same issue I have, but explains a lot about what you have said. 

Is there a published list of any other scenery that will not install in to the add on folder ?

Hi Roger,

17 hours ago, Ace-9 said:

they should not be there because every Item I own was uninstalled and reinstalled / migrated to the Add on folder. Which is where they are now. So why are they duplicated in the P3D folder after I manually deleted it, Including YLIL / YMTL / EU Germany and now manually moved EGTH

This is because Central still believes they're installed into the simulator directory. It determines this based on the files in ORBX\User Documents\Versions.

Make sure you keep Global BASE in that folder though. For now, it must be installed into the simulator, same with the openLC folders that are currently there (they are a part of Global).

17 hours ago, Ace-9 said:

I dont see that where the storage location of software can make a diffrence to elevation parameters? That does not make logical scence to me.

It doesn't make sense to us either. But, as you've seen in the thread that you linked, it does cause issues for some people. We will continue investigating, but we cannot guarantee that we'll find a solution that works for everyone.

That said, it is possible to force Central to install it into a library. Go to your library\p3dv4 folder, then create a new directory called "EGTH Old Warden Aerodrome". Inside that folder, create a new empty text file called "version_egth.txt".

image.png

When you next start Central, EGTH will show as having an update available. Click the "update" button and the product will be installed and an add-on.xml automatically created.

2 hours ago, Ace-9 said:

Is there a published list of any other scenery that will not install in to the add on folder ?

Out of 300+ products, only a few do not support installing into a library:

• All Milviz aircraft
  • EGTH Old Warden Aerodrome
  • Global BASE Pack
  • XMLTools

:) That's made my year already, EGTH is the only Orbx airport - Lovin it large, just my luck a? :D and thanks for your support here Ben, sorry if I appeared a bit curt. Good stuff on the EGTH txt file,  thats just about to happen on my system.

Be lucky, thanks again.

Roger

Archived