Using Traffic Global

SMB4

I have bought Traffic Global but having problems with ORBX airports, two problems I can mention so far are EGLC where there is no activity at all and EGNM where there is activity with Traffic Global but the aircraft seem to go underground when approaching the airport and then pop up just before landing. I have tried to use WED to fix these problems but it does not seem to recognise the ORBX airports. Please can you advise me of any solution. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 3:33 PM, SMB4 said:

Any ideas for this problem, Traffic Global says it may be an issue with ORBX airports as WED airports seem to work fine?

Hi @SMB4,

I’m not part of the Orbx team but I have found a fix for the issue you are experiencing, as I was also. I’ve also informed the Traffic Global team what the cause is.

Please see my post for an explanation

Orbx team, please also see my post. This issue has occurred because the ATC routes have been micromanaged. I know we can’t expect you to cater for all add-ons, but the method used isn’t great for native X-plane AI as well as Traffic Global.

From the X-Plane development team themselves, the following advice is given when creating ATC routes.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid “micromanaging” taxi routes. ATC and Ground Vehicle routes are intended to get traffic close enough to their destination that the built-in logic can taxi the vehicles to their final destination as needed. Specify only the preferred routes, as in general X-Plane can not tell non-plausible, obsolete or rarely used routes from the ones where you want aircraft to go.

Avoid connecting taxi routes directly to ramp starts so that the aircraft has room to maneuver between the taxi network and the ramp start for the best, most realistic results.

Use the fewest segments possible to specify only the desired & safe taxi routes. The taxi route is determined without checking for obstructions along the entire route–only the very next segment of the route is checked ahead of time, and the aircraft will not reroute if it becomes stuck.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:11 AM, MarkG said:

Hi @SMB4,

I’m not part of the Orbx team but I have found a fix for the issue you are experiencing, as I was also. I’ve also informed the Traffic Global team what the cause is.

Please see my post for an explanation

Orbx team, please also see my post. This issue has occurred because the ATC routes have been micromanaged. I know we can’t expect you to cater for all add-ons, but the method used isn’t great for native X-plane AI as well as Traffic Global.

From the X-Plane development team themselves, the following advice is given when creating ATC routes.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid “micromanaging” taxi routes. ATC and Ground Vehicle routes are intended to get traffic close enough to their destination that the built-in logic can taxi the vehicles to their final destination as needed. Specify only the preferred routes, as in general X-Plane can not tell non-plausible, obsolete or rarely used routes from the ones where you want aircraft to go.

Avoid connecting taxi routes directly to ramp starts so that the aircraft has room to maneuver between the taxi network and the ramp start for the best, most realistic results.

Use the fewest segments possible to specify only the desired & safe taxi routes. The taxi route is determined without checking for obstructions along the entire route–only the very next segment of the route is checked ahead of time, and the aircraft will not reroute if it becomes stuck.

Thank`s Mark, you have done well sorting that problem out, I am not sure that I have the skills to do it myself so I will have to wait until ORBX fix it. Do you also have the problem where the planes are going beneath the ground before landing at EGNM Leeds Bradford and can this be fixed by WED also?

20 hours ago, SMB4 said:

Thank`s Mark, you have done well sorting that problem out, I am not sure that I have the skills to do it myself so I will have to wait until ORBX fix it. Do you also have the problem where the planes are going beneath the ground before landing at EGNM Leeds Bradford and can this be fixed by WED also?

Hi @SMB4, no problem. Are you using Orbx True Earth Central?

14 minutes ago, SMB4 said:

I can not seem to find out how you import an orbx airport to wed.

hmm, not sure then, I'll see if it happens to mine.

To import an apt.dat file you have to open WED, Click New Scenery Package, this will create Untitled 1 package, then click Open, this will give you a blank airport.

File > Import apt.dat > browse to apt.dat in the correct airport, this will open it.

Make the edits you need. When finished;

File > Export apt.dat > save it in the correct location. 

Always a good idea to backup your original first. 

1 hour ago, SMB4 said:

Thanks Mark, I will try WED and will let you know how I get on.  I made a mistake about EGNM, Traffic Global does not recognise it so the planes I saw going underground must have been xplane AI.

Hi Mark, I followed your instructions and I actually got EGLC to work, needs a bit of fine tuning but I am amazed I managed it, Thanks Mark you have taught an old dog a new trick, now I am going to have a go at other airports now I know how to do it.

3 hours ago, SMB4 said:

Hi Mark, I followed your instructions and I actually got EGLC to work, needs a bit of fine tuning but I am amazed I managed it, Thanks Mark you have taught an old dog a new trick, now I am going to have a go at other airports now I know how to do it.

Hi @SMB4,

That's great, glad you managed it. I've got a few bugs open to fix some of the other airports as well, EGNM is one of them. I don't have aircraft either. (Well I do now though after fixing it.) 

To fix that one, you need to do the same again to import it, but this time it's to do with the parking spaces themselves.  You'll see when you select a parking space, denoted by the tiny little aircraft, that in the lower righthand pane of WED there is equipment type. 

Currently the majority are set to prop which is why aircraft aren't spawning. You can add more by clicking the word prop. You need to add TurboProp and Jet as well. This will then allow aircraft to spawn at them. I've done it to all of the aircraft spaces on the main ramp for now.

P.s. You need to delete the Untitled 1 folder you created when doing this exercise after you've finished and exported your apt.dat. Otherwise they collect as empty folders and X-Plane looks to them for information which isn't there. They will accumulate in your Custom Scenery Folder. 

Cheers,

Mark.

3 hours ago, SMB4 said:

Hi Mark, Just looking at East Midlands EGNX.  I think this is going to be a different fix, do you have this Airport. Also how do you delete an untitled airport?

Hi @SMB4, yes you've got it, just delete the folders directly from the Custom Scenery folder and that will remove them from WED.

EGNX is a slightly different issue. The quickest and easiest way to fix this for now is to use the Static Aircraft version. (In Orbx central > EGNX > options if you haven't found it already)  Don't worry, there shouldn't be any collisions between static aircraft and Traffic Global, as Orbx remove the parking space when there's a static there already.

It shouldn't be long before the fix is out for this as well. All the ATC routes are missing in the 'No static Aircraft' version so they won't spawn, however they are present in the 'static aircraft' version.

Otherwise, you'll have to put all of the ATC routes in yourself, or copy them over using a text editor between static and non static apt.dats. Not worth the effort really considering the static aircraft version works. 

Thanks,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, MarkG said:

Hi @SMB4, yes you've got it, just delete the folders directly from the Custom Scenery folder and that will remove them from WED.

EGNX is a slightly different issue. The quickest and easiest way to fix this for now is to use the Static Aircraft version. (In Orbx central > EGNX > options if you haven't found it already)  Don't worry, there shouldn't be any collisions between static aircraft and Traffic Global, as Orbx remove the parking space when there's a static there already.

It shouldn't be long before the fix is out for this as well. All the ATC routes are missing in the 'No static Aircraft' version so they won't spawn, however they are present in the 'static aircraft' version.

Otherwise, you'll have to put all of the ATC routes in yourself, or copy them over using a text editor between static and non static apt.dats. Not worth the effort really considering the static aircraft version works. 

Thanks,

Mark.

Hi Mark, I got EGNM Leeds airport working well but the I downloaded an update for that airport and although I have tried the same thing in WED I can not get it to work, have you had this issue with this airport? I have tried with statics too like I did for East midlands but that did not work either.

4 hours ago, SMB4 said:

Hi Mark, I got EGNM Leeds airport working well but the I downloaded an update for that airport and although I have tried the same thing in WED I can not get it to work, have you had this issue with this airport? I have tried with statics too like I did for East midlands but that did not work either.

Hi,

I don't have an update for EGNM, maybe you're on the fast lane program for beta updates?

If you PM me you apt.dat file I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mark. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:44 PM, MarkG said:

Hi,

I don't have an update for EGNM, maybe you're on the fast lane program for beta updates?

If you PM me you apt.dat file I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mark. 

There are two files one from Earth nav data and one from Earth nav data Statics, I am not sure why but the second one always says statics when you don`t have statics and vice versa? Thanks for taking a look, to me they seem the same as the old ones but don`t seem to work when altered. The update has some writing on the industrial units at the back of the airport and red buildings at the side for aircraft and the tower height has been corrected.

21 hours ago, SMB4 said:

There are two files one from Earth nav data and one from Earth nav data Statics, I am not sure why but the second one always says statics when you don`t have statics and vice versa? Thanks for taking a look, to me they seem the same as the old ones but don`t seem to work when altered. The update has some writing on the industrial units at the back of the airport and red buildings at the side for aircraft and the tower height has been corrected.

Thanks, I have them now, you may want to edit your post and remove them from here if possible though.

21 hours ago, SMB4 said:

Hi @SMB4

I've taken a quick look and all of the parking bays are back to prop only again. You'll need to change them back and add Turboprop and jet again for them to work. See post above again for instructions on that. 

Thanks,

Mark. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:43 AM, Jon Clarke said:

Please do not discuss modding an Orbx addon on the public forum. All mods to an Orbx product must come from an Orbx Dev.

Thank you.

Sorry Jon I did not realise it was not allowed.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, MarkG said:

Hi @SMB4

I've taken a quick look and all of the parking bays are back to prop only again. You'll need to change them back and add Turboprop and jet again for them to work. See post above again for instructions on that. 

Thanks,

Mark. 

Hi Mark, sorry to you as well for asking about changing the airport parking, I did not know it was not allowed for customers to alter them.

Archived