ORBX outside FSX dir ?

Guus7

Hi All,

Is it mandatory to have ORBX-Scenery placed in the root dir of FSX (with Central ®)? Can I possibly use another dir ? My C: SSD drive is almost full and I would like to move ORBX-Scenery from C: \ FSX \ORBX\ *. * To another (slower non-SSD drive). Who gives me the answer!

Greetings, Guus.

Thank you Nick for this detailed explanation! I will study it and leave the FSX option on the SSD drive and move ORBX Scenery to an HDD drive, and execute it. Currently I don't want to re-install my entire FSX (+ ORBX-Scenery) to an HDD disk. I will consider whether the slowing (loading) of FSX is acceptable to me or not!?

Greetings, Guus.

Hi Nick,

It seems that your advice also applies to my PC ! I have moved ORBX to an HDD, and it seems OK (so far).
Thank you ! Also for the pleasant method of explanation !
Loading scenery takes longer indeed. Now about 3 minutes instead of. 1½ minutes ... Well .... there are worse things in the world.

Greetings, Guus.

Hi Nick,

Converting (my) ORBX Data to my HDD drive is/was not successful ! The processor has a hard time with it. For example, the planes are often displayed transparently with only the propperlors visible. Even if I reduce the scenery quality in FSX, it does get better, but the transparency usually remains.
I have put the data back to the root FSX on the SSD drive.
What I am happy about is the new science about "Symbolic Link" ! I now use it to move other parts of my SSD drive in order to gain space. Quite an asset !

Thanks for that science.

Greetings, Guus.

Hi,

Finally, I want to share that I have been studying the purchase and use of SSD Drives in recent days is striking that one speaks about the "Free Space" of 20 - 25% ! This in contrast with an HDD Drive where I always assume around 10%. My SSD Drive only had 8-10% free space!
After moving data, I now have 20% free space, and my FSX with ORBX scenery now works PERFECT !!! No more transparency. Good frame rates ...  :)

Greetings, Guus.

Paradigit ® Intel ® Core ® 3.0 GHz. - 16.0 RAM - 64 Bits - Windows 10 Home ® - FSX Acceleration - Intel ® HD Graphics 630

Archived