scenery.cfg is corrupt or missing

Hi, I've been advised that I can't seek a refund of this product until I make a post here. 

When I try to install anything using the latest version of Orbx Central I recieve the below error

avVj22L.png

I have followed the steps in this 'temporary' fix post from 2014 (although I find it hard to figure why it would be necessary when I have never installed, owned or held a non-steam version of FSX) 

Registry values showing (1) co-existence is 0 and (2) the setup directory being the same as steam install directory

6GVdDYF.png

WS1aLMQ.png

Explorer confirming location of FSX:SE install matches reg

2qqqg33.png

I have seen other posts stating that you can change the %appdata% folder from FSX-SE to FSX and this also solves the issue. However when I do this, FSX:SE can't find the scenery information and rebuilds it upon launching, and the Orbx software still can't find the scenery.cfg file. 

I have re-installed FSX:SE (running a registry cleaning operation in between installs) and the Orbx installer multiple times (also making sure to manually delete both roaming and default %appdata% directories), as stated above I have never had a copy of FSX let alone installed it on this computer so it would be a reasonable expectation for your product to simply work.

I would appreciate simply ending the matter here and refunding the purchase. 

Hi Nick,

I don't have an option for FSX in Central, the only option is FSX:SE. The scenery.cfg file is in c:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX-SE. At one stage there was a FSX file but it did not have a scenery.cfg file in it and I deleted it as part of various reinstallations.

Thanks again.

We did have a long standing problem between FTX Central and FSX-SE and a great deal of

work has been done to ensure that this was not repeated in Orbx Central.

So far, yours is the only reported problem and so I am keen to find out why it is happening to you.

Would you go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central and delete central.log.

Then run Orbx Central until it generates the error and attach a copy of the resulting new central.log to your next post?

Many thanks.

if it's any help, FSX-SE on its own should be using the C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX folder,

it only creates an FSX-SE folder if there is or it appears from the registry that there is already a

copy of FSX Disk Edition installed.

This is why Orbx Central is writing to that file and you will need to reconfigure FSX-SE to match it.

• 4 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 8:43 AM, Jamkicker said:

Hi Nick sorry I've been away for work the last couple of days. I think this is working now, don't have a lot of time to sim atm but happy to consider this closed.

Thanks

DELETE

• 1 month later...

Just purchased AU Scenery and have the same issue. So frustrating. Uninstalled Steam edition of FSX and reinstalled in a new partition on the disk now F: Games\ and still get the corrupt or missing scenery.cfg message. Seriously this has cost me nearly a whole day to try and fix to no avail and my way  around the system is not fantastic. Tried to find a spare scenery.cfg in the root directory to no avail. I feel my $55 AU has gone to a charity,

Max

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

The "spare" scenery.cfg file is to be found at steamapps\common\FSX\scenery.cfg.

Orbx Central will be looking for a scenery.cfg file at either

C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg or

C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX-SE\scenery.cfg, depending on what you have done.

I attach a copy of the scenery.cfg file from steamapps\common\FSX\scenery.cfg.

scenery.cfg

Archived