Another bug report, sorry guys. WA90

Tigerclaw

Sorry guys, here's another bug report for PNW. The Airport in question is Floathaven WA90.

These pictures are 5m mesh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next pictures are 2m mesh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice can't park at fuel, but you can refuel where I was. Between the two piers, the ground mesh seems to be all right.

Posted Image

No I'm not hovering, I'm not that good  ;D I was actually landed in mid air.

Okay John, thanks for that.

I apologised because it can't be nice for you guys to have put in all those hours, and some moaning pom tells you it's got a bug or two  ::)

To be honest, I agree with what you say, no software is ever perfect, there are just so many variables to consider I'd class it as an impossible task. On the whole though I still find the scenery great, but I'll probably notice more than others because I'm a crap pilot and keep landing in the wrong places  ;D

Hi Tigerclaw,

Hmmm....This is an interesting one.  I did not change the airport "altitude" which is set at 325 ft, is that what your "parked" altitude reads?  Short of setting the altitude to some lower one I'm not sure what I can do, and if I do I'm not sure that your helicopter would not sink into the ground.  I'll have to play with this.

Cheers, Neil (the PNW airport guy) 

Ah didn't check the altitude, sorry. Did investigate a little further today, and I'll try to explain my findings for you.

At first I thought it was something to do with the piers, and that may still be true. I went back in the float version Dodo, and landed on the water near the pier in the first picture. I worked my way over to the pier with no problems, and as the pier is a "soft" object went through it (I expected to do that). While "in" the pier I took off straight up and a small bump told me I had reached the "ground" level, so I landed just as I did yesterday. It's as if the contact points for the piers are too high, and extend onto the land mass at the same height.

Another thing that was noted is the shore end of the runway is also high to the pier side of the runway. Look at picture 3, the space between the runway and the tree has an invisible object that you can crash into if you taxi down the side of the runway, and you look higher than the ground if you set down in a Heli.

That's about all I can tell you I'm afraid. I hope it helps.

Hi again Tigerclaw,

I hate to tell people this, but I could not duplicate the issue.  Now as a helicopter pilot I make a good ditch digger but I was able to get the R22 off the ground and hover it around WA90 and at no time did I find a "landing pad in the sky".  I was able to land it several times on the ground at various points (much to the relief of my "instructor") even did jumps into the sky but could not find a hard spot.  I looked at the ADE file and it looks OK, did takeoffs with my trusty Bonanza with no problem.  So I don't know what to tell you.  Enclosed a screenshot of the R22 on the ground at WA90.

Cheers, Neil

post-2521-130204098115_thumb.jpg

I can confirm invisible platforms over both of the piers (note the aircraft shadow):

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's probably the same issue that I've reported a while back for the Hervey Bay harbor area. They are some sort of invisible extension of library models that can't be changed. It's hard to detect them because you can fly trough them from all sides and you will also sink through them when you descend too quickly. You can only land on them when you settle the helicopter down very softly. So, this shouldn't be a problem for fixed wings.

p.s.: the yellow Cub on floats that is sitting on the ground next to the hangar is bobbing like it's sitting on water.

Hi Jigsaw,

Well the "sink through if quick" explains why I didn't spot it, nothing I did in that R22 was delicate!!  Thanks for the heads up on the parked cub, I tried to find one that wasn't animated, I thought this one wasn't.  I'll try again.

I don't think there's anything I can do about the problem, except remove the docks and I'd hate to do that.

Cheers, Neil

Hi all,

Problem solved.  The issue had to do with the concrete piers, so I changed them out to wooden piers and that works fine (and looks good plus you can land helicopters on them).  I found that in slew mode I could "settle" on the raised section and it allowed me to test it.  Those concrete piers have a definite box around them, 3 times as wide and 4 times longer than the pier itself, very strange.  Also, Jigsaw, I noticed the bobbing amphibian and replaced it earlier today when I was testing.

Fix will be in the Hotfix when it shows up.

Cheers, Neil

That is good news, glad the mystery is solved. Thought I was going to have re-install from scratch  ;D

But Why change the planes? I thought this was a fantastic piece of ORBX magic. The planes only moved when I went near them, so I thought it was rotor wash modelled in. It looked pretty cool actually. When I was further away, they didn't seem to move at all, only when I flew near them. That's why I never mentioned it, I thought it was intentional. Oh well never mind  :(

Hi Tony,

Only locked down the yellow cub on the ground, otherwise you're going to be sued by it's owner for damage due to your prop wash!!

Cheers, Neil

Awww man, I laughed so much I nearly peed myself  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I can just see some bloke scratching his head and wondering why his wings were bent  ;D ;D ;D

Archived