ORBX Courchevel. World's 7th most dangerous approach

JS41Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. But the bottom of the runway where it is less steep is not long enough, unlike in real life: watch this video, and compare from 00:20 seconds with your X Plane addon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGN3XA2Mxfs

and here from 04:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I18EWPVvjM4

We can see that in real life the less steep area goes beyond the 2 "piano keys".

Below, I am flying in the FSX addon by a French addon company, and look from 12:10 when I land: same as in real life :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBeT37kdMvc

Raymond

Hi Raymond, Yes you are right the bottom is less steep than in reality. Thanks for pointing this out, and I enjoyed checking out your links.  Nonetheless the scenery still captures the core of the challenges that Courchevel has, and for now remains one of my all time favorites. Regards.

3 hours ago, JS41Flyer said:

Hi Raymond, Yes you are right the bottom is less steep than in reality.

Hi JS41Flyer,

Not really... In reality, the less steep bottom part is much much longer than in this Orbx scenery. In this scenery there is an almost flat bottom that is far shorter than in real life, and too short to touch down  on it. Thus, you have to touch down on the steep bit further up, almost 19%, but then this is far too steep for this... That is why in real life, they have a long bottom part that is not so steep, where they can touch down, then the steeper part helps the plane to slow down. They had good reasons to build it this way. I don't know why in the Orbx scenery the runway is wrong; the Courchevel runway is the ESSENTIAL part of this location, the rest is nice, but just eye candy.

• 1 month later...

Hi Raymond, I didn't understand your response above....until I read my initial reply....sorry my mistake, that was not what I intended to say....I'll try again....Yes the flat part of the runway is much shorter than in real life, by quite a significant margin...the slope in the scenery starts before it should. In real life not sure if the slope starting this early would make it too dangerous to land on?

8 hours ago, JS41Flyer said:

Hi Raymond, I didn't understand your response above....until I read my initial reply....sorry my mistake, that was not what I intended to say....I'll try again....Yes the flat part of the runway is much shorter than in real life, by quite a significant margin...the slope in the scenery starts before it should. In real life not sure if the slope starting this early would make it too dangerous to land on?

Hi JS41Flyer,

Yes, it would make it more difficult for sure, and dangerous. Reasons are obvious: at nearly 20%, we have to land almost climbing, so the speed would need to be maintained with enough power, and the flare is even steeper to avoid touching the nose wheel first! That is why in real life they have a long enough flat part first.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived