Misplaced Buildings at the Needles ORBX UK South

Ozbux

@Ozbux Your scenery_packs.ini is honestly a total mess. You have addons like X-Europe above your Global Airports...wrong. You also have 2 entries for EGLH Needles:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a_UK EGLH Needles Lighthouse (H)/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/

Anyway, remove the folder  SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a_UK EGLH Needles Lighthouse (H)/  from your Custom Scenery and place the entry of SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/ above Global Airports.

I would then suggest strongly that you rework your scenery_packs.ini based on the format of layering your entries in the correct sequence of Top to Bottom:

3rd party airports

Global airports

Scenery enhancement type addons like X-Europe, animated kangaroos, C Auckland,C Pittsburgh etc All addons that are NOT Airports, Libraries or Mesh.

Libraries

Mesh

Thanks @jjaycee1 for your promptness and honesty. I kinda know my index is a mess, but the descriptions are not always obvious as to what 'category' they should fit into (like you say, I didn't know if animated kangaroos was classed as scenery, or a library object for example), but now you've given me some examples to work with, I'll give it a go! Maybe once I've done it I can send it through to you to mark lol?!

Anyway, thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated ;-)

Ozbux

3 hours ago, Ozbux said:

Thanks @jjaycee1 for your promptness and honesty. I kinda know my index is a mess, but the descriptions are not always obvious as to what 'category' they should fit into (like you say, I didn't know if animated kangaroos was classed as scenery, or a library object for example), but now you've given me some examples to work with, I'll give it a go! Maybe once I've done it I can send it through to you to mark lol?!

Anyway, thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated ;-)

Ozbux

No problem. I will help you after you have done what you think is correctly relayered your .ini. I was going to do it for you but I am finding that it is better if I suggest the user has a go after seeing the layering guide I offer. It helps the user get used to what is needed to be done layer sequence-wise  and that aspect then helps them solve their own scenery problems.

Rework your .ini and attach it and I will see if anything further needs doing to it.

Remember the simple guide is 

3rd party airports and their associated files (like for example Orbx Shoreham which also has a file of Shoreham_roads. These are part of the 3rd party airport addon and should be grouped together above Global Airports.

Global Airports

Everything else that is NOT a 3rd party airport, scenery enhancement or mesh

Libraries

Mesh.

Thanks again, and yes, I prefer to try it out myself to get a better understanding...

So, here's my (first?!) attempt; not a small exercise, huh!

Your 2nd reply helped as I was struggling to work out if the associated scenery (like the roads) should be grouped with the airports or in scenery. I am still unsure for a couple of entries, like 'EKCH_Scenery_Pack' and 'KCLM_Scenery_Pack', which currently are sitting in the scenery section.

Just for this exercise, I have put a blank line to delineate between the categories (Airports / Global Airports / Scenery / Libs /  Mesh) to make it easier to see where I think stuff should sit. There are still some I haven't a clue with (ie ZZ_DF-Hard_Surface???)

Anyway, it you could have a look and let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

PS This first pass got rid of those pesky buildings at the Needles that started this whole thing off!!

scenery_packs.ini

@Ozbux Well done mate. Almost there! Can you tell me what is within some of the adddons that are "scenery packs" like EKCH_Scenery_Pack, KCLM_Scenery_Pack? Regarding the series of AussiePaks, I believe they are a group of Oz airstrips in each pak, is that correct? If they are then tell me if they are working fine with the location in the scenery_packs.ini as you have placed them. If they are then we can leave them there. If not then we could possibly move them above Global Airports. Please test BOTH locations for me. The same applies to whatever is in the folder called VOZ. Please enlighten me of the contents of that folder and if it works OK in the location you have put it.

I notice that you don't have simHeaven X-Europe Scenery file with the other 2 X-Europe files so i wil be rearranging that. I have made some adjustments again in th e.ini so that you get the full benefit of the Orbx TE series. They should be placed right under Global Airports with London Landmarks just above them. This placement is to ensure there is no potential interference or conflict from all the other "stuff" that is under Global Airports. I move them for you to ensure that the the Orbx scenery gets priority. This is after all an Orbx forum and not a general XP forum:lol: I have also moved Orbx Needles to where I said it should be. You may find that running Orbx Central possibly reverts Needles back down below Global Airports which is wrong and I have mentioned it to Orbx. When you run Central or when you add any new addon to XP it is prudent to then run XP upto the opening GUI and then shutdown and open the .ini to check placements again. If you are installing another airport then the need for checking the .ini is less warranted because like all new addons, XP will place it at the top of the .ini. That's OK because that's where airports should be. That is not the case if it is not a newly added non airport addon.

I just want to quantify what i mean by Mesh being at the bottom of the .ini. By Mesh i mean 3rd party global coverage mesh like HD Global Mesh and UHD Global mesh. The mesh that comes with an addon airport can normally be layered with the airport files because the mesh content is restricted to the the area covered by the airport only and not the surrounding area. The same logic goes for your Boston KBOS ortho should be placed just below the airport KBOS which you don't appear to have in your .ini??

Have fun.

I attach your revised .ini for you to try.

scenery_packs.ini

@jjaycee1

Firstly, and again, thanks for your time and help - you have made this process so easy and educational.

So attached are 4 pics - 2 showing the AussiePacks above and below the Global Airports (and I'm not sure which I prefer!), and 2 showing the contents of the EKCH & KCLM folders. EKCH looks like scenery at my guess, not sure about KCLM.

And yes, the ORBX stuff did all re-position itself (including Needles) once I verified and updated the files on Central. I assume that will need looking into every time I update or install new ORBX products?

Finally, I have 3 KBOS entries in my .ini file:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KBOS - Boston Logan International/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KBOS - GroundTraffic City/

...in the Airports section and down in the mesh section....

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KBOS - Boston Logan International Orthophotos/

Is this correct?

Other than those queries, I think we're all good :D

All ther best,

Ozbux 

EKCH Scenery Pack.JPG

AussiePak ABOVE Global Airports.jpg

AussiePak BELOW Global Airports.jpg

KCLM Scenery Pack.JPG

@Ozbux  I obviously missed seeing the other KBOS files. Anyway to answer your question, put them together above Global Airports with the KBOS ortho below the airport and ground traffic files. OK the couple of scenery packs Like KCLM & EKCH can go above Global Airports because they are 3rd party airport addons. Again as a normal rule of thumb, an addon that includes an airport ICAO reference in it's title is 99.9% going to be a 3rd party airport addon as far as where to place it in the .ini is concerned. Regarding the Aussie Paks, upt o you where you place them as I see that the pic examples appear to be just a helipad.

I assume you put the"moved" (by Central) entries back to where they should be in the ini as I note you haven't attached it to your post? Just send me the .ini when you have layered the entries I mention in this post so we can finalise the ini. 

9 minutes ago, Ozbux said:

Looks good. just moved the ZZZ mesh for Meigs to below the Meigs Overlay for you. Also take a look inside the folder of DD New York airports as they may contain individual airports. I am assuming they are classed as 3rd party airports, so I guess you know where I would suggest placing them in comparison to where you have them currently place ??????? If the folder just contains a consolidated file then consider the whole folder as a 3rd party airport and place accordingly.

scenery_packs.ini

Archived