Download size TE Oregon SD vs. HD

Mobu86

Hello!

I have started to download TE Oregon HD but given my poor internet speed switched to the SD Version. I don't want to download 13 Hours. The SD dowloader is showing me a total download size of 47.77GB. This is the same size as the HD Version eventhough the SD Version is said to take only 1/4 of space compared to the HD Version. Is this correct or just an display issue within the new Orbx central tool? 

Rgds

Moritz

Unbenannt.PNG

Hello,

the principal difference between the two installations is the conversion process.

The SD files are compressed but do not need to be converted, so the installation

is not massively larger than the download.

The HD files are in jpg format which are then converted to .dds format on the PC

and in this case,  each .dds file is much larger than the .jpg file.

I have a question I would like to ask, and being pretty new to X Plane 11, and TE products, I;m not sure if I should go ahead and ask here since it kind of applies or if I should start a  new help topic in the Support forums? My question is as follow....I have  in the past purchased the TE Washington product, and being an Oregonian I am beyond excited about the new product but before I have a question or two answered I'm kind of afraid to go forward.

When I bought TE Washington, I just downloaded it through FTX Central and it installed.  My PC is borderline or at the lower edge of HD compatible so I plan to buy the HD version, because it comes free with the SD version, if I have any issues with FPS or anything in the HD version, then I can uninstall the HD version and install the SD version.  In my limited experirence though, the programs I have downloaded after purchasing before just download then install automatically.  I want to download these files to a storage drive, then install 1 or the other on my C drive with  X plane 11.  

Whats the best way to just download the files and direct them to the drive and folders of my choosing on a storage drive? Then, is there anything special to installing the version I want from the storage drive, is that done through FTX also??  The whole download through FTX and installation confuses me, rather than the old what I'm used to way of just downloading a file then clicking on it to install...I'm probably over complicating my question, my apologies but I hope I am being clear enough?

Thanks in advance for any help, and forgive me for tacking onto your post Mobu86!

Hello,

you will be obliged to install and use Orbx Central to install Oregon.

It comes with a very good User Guide that clearly explains the answers to your questions.

You will be able to install either the SD or the HD version, if you buy the HD version.

You will not be able to install both at the same time.

Archived