ORBX Central

Jock7

Good Morning,

A few days ago I downloaded the new Orbx Central and started to have major problems and therefore reverted back to FTX3 with no problems and will remain there for the foreseeable future.

My main gripe is with the backup system of the new ORBX Central, this backup I do not need as it takes up too much space on my hardrives and therefore have no intention of ever using this. I do not have the choice of whether to use this or not espically if I purchase new sceneries and some of these are 200GB  or more. I have no intention of reinstalling the software unless something major happens. I do not see why I have to have 2 copies of the scenery on my harddrive. Therefore for that reason I will not be moving over nor will I be purchasing anymore Orbx scenery.

For how long will Orbx allow us to use the old FTX3? and how far are you on with fixing the new Central. I love the idea you are using and want to use it but for the moment I remain where I am and ORBX looses out espically when am not the only one to revert back with all the problems. I wish you luck in fixing the wrongs but for the moment it is not for me.

41 minutes ago, Jock7 said:

My main gripe is with the backup system of the new ORBX Central, this backup I do not need as it takes up too much space on my hardrives and therefore have no intention of ever using this. I do not have the choice of whether to use this or not espically if I purchase new sceneries and some of these are 200GB  or more.

Hello,

I am guessing that you did not see that there is a tick box to disable backups................:(

1.jpg

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply and I already know about the back-up settings , when I tried the Central my total downloads for Orbx was 860GB which is totally unacceptable to me. When I started to find out how this was happening I found that the sceneries were installed twice, once in the sim (normal) and the other as back-up I never asked for this. I do not like this set up at all , why not leave  it as is I do not want my sceneries outside my sim or any of my sims.  With FTX 3 at the moment I still have 300GB left but in Central I would have zilch. I install the sim once and only have to reinstall if I have a major problem which till now is rare. I will keep with FTX 3 as long as I can as I do not have any problems with it.

Thanks

I am sure that you read this in the User Guide before you started to install your products.

Disabling backups

If you don’t want any product backups at all, you can disable this by going to Settings > Downloader, and un-checking “automatically backup product install files”.

EiwxBIq55XN5dlXfSsfl_qRMt35ks45Z4ugmk613

Are you now suggesting that even with the box unticked,

Orbx Central downloaded and stored backup files?

Will hold my hands up Nick I did not read the manual before I changed over and when I started to get all the errors in all my sims I tried to fix them by moving my scenery files about which made matters worse. If I read you correct I can use the new Central like FTX 3 and have no back-ups. Also when I purchase new sceneries that I can put them into the Sim I am using and nowhere else. I do not want double entries on my ssds which to me would be a waste of space. If I do not tick any of the above then Central would be like FTX3. As I've always said if and when Central is fixed 100% and proved to work then I off course will use it again until then I remain with FTX 3. Thanks Nick

Good Morning,

I have at last installed and running Central 4.0.6 and at the moment there seems to be no problems, but no doubt there will be. I have spent at least 4 hours  over the last two days running all the sceneries and checking them. I see no sign of any buildings or anything else up in the air. London looks brilliant but as usual is a bit slow but I managed   to fly over with frame rates from 4 to 45 but there was no slowdown or jumping. At the moment I am very pleased with the set-up but as to the future I have decided all I need from Orbx now is True Earth UK Central and North for prepar3d then we part company, my ssds and hard drive will not take  anymore due to space left. So at the moment thanks ORBX and if I do get problems I will be in touch.

Archived