Beginners Corner

kjrman

Hello,

I am new to flight simming.  I became interested in sims as a way to practice for my private pilots license (taking written test this week).  I was very impressed with the accuracy of FSX, radio frequecies, VOR, etc...  I chanced upon FTX, downloaded the demo and, wow.  I ordered the AU DVD and, double wow.  I prepayed for the PNW DVD, triple wow.  Just wanted to say that it sure seems to be an exciting time to be a newbie in the flight sim world!  I have so many basic questions I'm embarrassed to ask.

Which forum  is most closely associated with a beginners corner?

Thank you to the ORBX folks for such great products and support.  Thanks also to the contributors of this forum, very informative.

Thanks again,

Kelly

Welcome Kelly.

There's not really a beginners' forum as such. There's a number of sub-forums, so probably best to pitch your questions to the most appropriate one - flying questions to the 'pilot's lounge'; hardware questions to 'hardware tech and talk' etc. It's just a matter of putting your questions clearly anf you'll get a response.

Ive been there and still am in a lot of ways ;D  Its a learning game and doesnt stop, particularly with me since you can add computer illiteracy when I first started .

Maybe a list of tools needed to keep the game in shape would help and where to find things like Nvidea control panel, aircraft cfg,

and cleaners like defraggers, ATF, page defrag and so on.  And of course your freebie sources. 

There is a steep learning curve to begin with and a lot of messing around. Your passion will see you through.

Hey there Kelly ;D

You know what - there is never a dumb question - I guess as the saying goes - it's the questions that are not asked that are the dumb questions! :P

I am sure - in fact I know that the experts around here will always give you the best and most honest answer they can. They really are a good source of knowledge - not just for flight simulation but for computing in general!

Also let us know how you go with you PPL -All the best! ;D

Glenn

Hello slandreth,

I have approximately 47 hours.  Scheduled to take the written test 3/15/10.  I have done three night flights with my instructor so far, I enjoyed them more than I thought I would, very beautiful at night. 

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. 

Kelly

I was the same way.  I was not sure I would enjoy it but Monday night it was so smooth.  You have quite a bit on me.  I had about 10 hours back in the late 90s and had to quit but I picked it back up so I now have about 20 total.  Have you soloed yet?

Hi Kelly. Good luck with the test!

I have about 36 hours under my belt and have just passed my General Flight Progress Test. Here in Oz that's sort of a milestone whereby they believe you can now fly a plane safely and can move on to doing nav exercises away from your home airfield. It also means I can now take passengers up in the Canberra area (my home field) if my instructor thinks the weather and aircraft are safe (he still signs the maintenance log). The legal minimum is 20 hours to th GFPT but I think you'd have to be a freakishly natural pilot to do it in that time and know what you're doing! I now intend working towards my full private pilots license.

Given the way you write your dates I assume you are in the US. Do you have an equivalent "halfway" mark? I am always curious how things are done in other countries!

Wirray,  we don't really have a halfway point that I know of although I would say the day you solo might be as close as we get.  In the U.S. for your PPL you have to have a minimum of 40 hours of instruction.  It is a mix of dual instruction and solo.  You can't carry passengers by yourself until you pass your oral exam and check ride.

Ok. We have the same 40 hour minimum on the full PPL. Circuit solo can't happen before 10 hours and an oral pre-solo exam, area solo can't happen until after solo and a pre-area solo exam. Then comes the GFPT at a minimum of 20 hours and full PPL at 40.

Archived