In To the Weeds (Woods)

vozko

Howdy,

My Orbx Central experience was going well until I worked my way down to TE GB South.  During the clean up process for that item my pc froze and then crashed.  Rebooted itself came back up and Orbx Central notified me TE GB South was successfully installed. 

Fired up the pc as I had done  for the others I had previously installed and Prepar3d 4.5 told me it couldn't start without a valid scenery config.  Well this led to verifications, downloads, uninstalling Orbx global stuff repairing and then reinstalling Prepar3d (still told me it needed the scenery config). 

Finally dawned on me to check the actual scenery config folder and lo and behold there was a scenery config.  Opened and it was blank!   So I got wise picked out the latest backup I could find and installed it.   Well that allowed me to  start Prepar3d.  Hallalujah!  But my joy was seriously tempered when jetting out of Eglin I discovered the Gulf of Mexico had been replaced with a forest and a prarie. Similar situation on the other side of the world at NZMF.  Bedtime.

Well this led to forum searches today  that were mostly unfruitful.  Another round of verifications, uninstalls, et al with no Gulf return and finally the creeping urge to chuck it all.  Well actually to try a reinstall of FTX Central if that's even possible now.  But before I give up on Orbx Central I humbly request the aid of Those Who Know on this forum.  Best regards,  Tom

central.l

Operating system:  Win 10 Pro

Simulator:  Prepar3d 4.5

Screenshot:  

Issue:  confusion

4 hours ago, vozko said:

My Orbx Central experience was going well until I worked my way down to TE GB South.  During the clean up process for that item my pc froze and then crashed. 

It sounds like your computer crashed while the scenery.cfg file was being updated, and therefore that file was broken. In future, you can delete the scenery.cfg file and Prepar3D will generate a new one.

4 hours ago, vozko said:

But my joy was seriously tempered when jetting out of Eglin I discovered the Gulf of Mexico had been replaced with a forest and a prarie. Similar situation on the other side of the world at NZMF.  Bedtime.

This seems like your terrain configuration may need to be reconfigured, or Global Base and Orbx Libraries need to be verified.

Try the following:

• In Orbx Central, go to 'Global Range' and select the 'Orbx Libraries' product
  • Press 'Verify Files'
  • Wait for that process to complete.
  • Go to 'Global Range' and select the 'Global Base' product
  • Press 'Verify Files'
  • Go to the 'Settings' page, and select 'Help'
  • Press Sync Simulator

That will regenerate your terrain configuration and make sure Orbx Libraries and Global Base is configured correctly. You can then try loading up the simulator and checking if the issue still persists.

Thanks Doug and Mitchell for the replies.

I'm unable to find any clues in the user guide Doug outside of not saving backups on a NAS without regediting.  I shall do that if I decide to leave my backup downloads folder on a NAS.  I don't have any other of my Orbx stuff on a NAS.

Mitchell, I have done as you asked and I'm still looking at the Gulf of Mexico National Forest and Prairie Reserve when flying out of Eglin.   Perhaps you can give me some procedure to completely uninstall the entire shooting match and start fresh.  Zero Orbx, zero Prepar3d.  

I am still willing to try less drastic measures it you have more suggestions.  Other addons I'm using include Active Sky, Envetex, Chaseplane  as well as various airports including  some from Flightbeam. Aerosoft and FSDT and a host of aircraft.  Latest log included.  Thanks for your consideration.  Best Regards,  Tom

central.log

Hi Tom,

Can you upload a screenshot of what you're seeing in the simulator? It'll help us recognize the issue.

Can you please also upload the following files:

• %PROGRAMDATA%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v4/scenery.cfg
  • %PROGRAMDATA%/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v4/terrain.cfg

We'll then be able to see if this is a simple configuration issue or something else that may need more investigation.

It looks like your terrain.cfg is missing all the default entries.

terrain.cfg

Try replacing your terrain.cfg with mine, then load up the sim and see if you're still having issues.

Did you launch Prepar3D after installing it, or did you start installing scenery straight away? If so, this may be the issue and we'll need to look at ways to protect against it in Central.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks.  Looking good now.  The gulf is back and NZMF is in stunning form.  To answer your question,  after the crash and trying everything else I mentioned above,  when I reinstalled Prepar3d I tried to  fire it up right away hoping that all would be well.  That's when I got the request for a valid scenery config and discovered the blank cofig.

FYI this turned into a twofer for me.  Several months ago I'd borked an AIG ai traffic install and killed all my default ai and Orbx ai too.  Everything else seemed ok but It annoyed me enough that I decided I was going to wait for Orbx Central's release to start using the sim again thinking to get everything sorted at that time. 

Well,  flying over the newly restored Gulf of Mexico to my surprise I spotted ai traffic!  I right clicked and checked traffic and it was all back.  So I went to NZMF and spent a while watching Orbx traffic around that beauty spot.  Apparently your terrain config fixed my ai! 

Perhaps the borked AIG install contributed to terrain config damage?  Anyway,  thanks again.  I will continue to migrate the rest of my Orbx stuff with Orbx Central.

Best Regards,  Tom

Hi Tom,

I’m glad to hear you’re up and running now! I’m not familiar with which files AIG modifies on install, so I can’t say for sure that was the original cause. I’ll be looking at ways we can detect situations like this within Central to avoid others running into a similar situation in the future.

Archived