[ANSWERED] Creating new cfg. file question

Alcibiades

I've seen this discussed but I would appreciate a bit more clarity as I am a bear of very little brain.

1 - Does it really help?

2 - All I have to do is rename my present cfg.ini file as cfg.ini.bak and then start up FSX and FSX will build another cfg. file automatically?

3 - The rebuilt cfg.ini file will still work with PNW and FEX that are installed right now, prior to the cfg.ini manuevre?

Thank you.  :)

Hi there,

the file in question is named fsx.cfg and resides in C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (in Vista) or the equivalent roaming folder in XP and W7. Rename it to fsx.cfg.bak and FSX will indeed build a new version next time you'll start the sim.

The reason it's often suggested as a fix for troubles with FSX is because we may add tweaks or change parameter values but don't remember them all and some of these may conflict especially if you've changed hardware and/or drivers. If you've never edited your fsx.cfg before then it's unlikely that a rebuild will have any positive effect.

Neither PNW nor FEX require specific fsx.cfg parameters so their functionality isn't impacted when letting FSX build a default version. One thing that might happen is that you'll get warning messages when you start a flight with a third-party aircraft installed whose gauges require confirmation as "trusted" add-ons. Just click your way through the OKs and you'll be fine.

Cheers, Holger

Archived