US Washington area map design

HI Orbx team , great stuff love your products really nicely done. However I must admit surprisingly disappointed in the area coverage of Washington. Not so in the amount but more so in the outline.

I had great expectations of flying from Hood river all the way up to Portland and out to the sea only to find at the time Water, but now default textures . Why O why did you design the map to end in such an unusual way. Why not have it more boxed out to the seas edge., It just kills immersion . 

I would half expect more areas to be added surrounding Washington , but can only hope that it also goes a little south, because for me a lot of Fs9 Heli time was spent around Hood river and Portland and it would be an absolute shame to not include this part of the area.

Orbx Nth.JPG

33 minutes ago, Jay Diesel said:

I had great expectations of flying from Hood river all the way up to Portland and out to the sea only to find at the time Water, but now default textures . Why O why did you design the map to end in such an unusual way. Why not have it more boxed out to the seas edge., It just kills immersion . 

Remember it is TrueEarth Washington and not TrueEarth Pacific Northwest.

Just FYI, the boundaries for XP11 scenery products are constrained by the requirements of XP11 for scenery tiles to end at whole lines of lat/long. 

That is why the eastern edge of TE WA scenery goes all the way to 117 degrees west, even though that is past the Washington border and inside Idaho. 

That is the same reason for the squared off edges along the southern edge of TE WA.  Orbx is matching the border of Washington State as best it can, given the tiles must go to whole lat/long coordinates.

I'm looking forward to TE Oregon and California too.  Though like you, my SSD is not!  

Thanks Matt for that detailed explanation, I honestly did not know that and it makes sense now. I live in Australia so your borders are not truly known to me. 
Also now you mention it yes the old scenery I was using was the Pacific Northwest. 
You got some real beautiful country over there.

Appreciate your Taking the time to explain why it is so.

Jim

Although they could have added the two "missing" tiles and when they add Oregon, assuming this is will be, there would have been an overlap the other way into WA, while there would have been redundancy if you ended up buy two products, there would not if you only buy one. Personally I have no issue with the straight lines, as one can fix this themselves or use some of the other ortho out there as freeware that covers Oregon.

The tile for Portland will be in the Oregon region and will have a cityscape similar to Seattle. As already pointed out above, because of grid limitations in X-Plane 11, this also means that the area north of Portland which is in Washington will actually be in the Oregon region, but also the Washington region includes parts of Oregon

The scenery is simply named after the state it predominately covers.

I actually live in SW Washington (Vancouver, WA), and already own Orbx Pearson (KVUO), which I’ve been able to fly out of in real life. It is disappointing that SW WA is not included in TE Washington, but I do appreciate your explaining the reason for this. It is pretty cool to taxi up and see the Learn to Fly signage at KVUO, just like at the real airport!!

Looking forward to the TE Oregon addition!!

Archived