6-7 seconds pauses at NZWN

Now this one has me really puzzled, especially as none of my friends have the same issue at this location. I see that people have 5 or 6 second pauses in various locations round the world and initially though that this was just one of those things. However, I happened to notice the same pause at another two close by airstrips/airports - NZWN and N503. Further investigation showed that the pause would also occur at other points along a line joining these two airports. The issue continues out to the West but it moves slightly further north. See the ride lines on the images below. The freeze also occurs during take off on runway 34 at NZWN.

• I've taken a number of steps to try and remedy this issue - all without success.
  • Reinstalled P3d v4.5
  • Downloaded and reinstalled all orbx scenery
  • Reinstalled add on aircraft - it doesn't appear to matter which aircraft I use and also happens with default aircraft
  • Updated windows to the latest version  - Windows 10 pro 1803
  • Uninstalled and installed the latest NVIDA drivers
  • Deleted Shaders folder, the AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin folders, and also both of the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files and Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folders
    Interestingly  deleting the last two folders does temporarily fix the problem on take off, but as soon as I circle round to land, the freeze returns and remains.
  • If I remove Orbx NZNI there is no problem, but that rather defeats the reason for flying here in the first place!!
  • I've added new users and run P3D from their accounts but the same freeze occurs for them also. I can take off on NZWN 34 but on circling to land back on 34 the issues returns and remains.
  • I use Chaseplane and FSUPIC - however, removing these has made no difference to the lock up.

There are probably a few other things I have tried but forgotten about as I've been playing with this for over a week. I need to get a life in the Real World I think!!

Judging by the lack of success others have had with similar freezes I'm guessing this is probably issue will be unresolvable; however, I'm posting all this in the hope that it might trigger some new ideas. :-)

Sadly this is my go to airport, so I may have to move over Cook straight to NZNS as a standby origin for my flights here in New Zealand.

Ive checked resource usage - memory, cpu, graphics, disc, temperatures - all seem ok
I've also tested my RAM, CPU and graphics card

Specs - Intel 9700K, TUF Z390-Plus Gaming motherboard, 32Gb Corsair 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, Sandisk M2 1Tb SSD, GeForce 2017 Graphics card

Orbx libraries are up to date also :-)

mystery1.jpg

mystery2.jpg

Hello Scaber

Very interesting

When I bought NZWN from Flightbeam I noticed the freezing too. Mainly when changing outside views. Circling the plane.

Of course I went back intermediately to them as I thought it was caused by their product.

They were checking, meanwhile I decided to do a total reinstall of the P3D as you did and then reinstall NZWN, and all worked correctly. Odd

Then an update came for the airport and then had a slight freeze and not often.

So it might be something hidden

I'll test your route just to verify my sim behavior.

I thought that mentioning I also had freezing in this area could be useful as an additional referennce

Cheers

Carlos

Hello Scaber

I flew all over the area, from NZWN to the coast ( to the left) and then back to the airport and all over the right section of the island, and fortunately didn't have any freeze at all.

I hope the developers can give you some light on what your problem seems to be

Regards,

Carlos

29 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Hello Scaber

I flew all over the area, from NZWN to the coast ( to the left) and then back to the airport and all over the right section of the island, and fortunately didn't have any freeze at all.

I hope the developers can give you some light on what your problem seems to be

Regards,

Carlos

Carlos, thanks for trying this out for me. I did install the Flightbeam NZWN but had previously uninstalled after not liking their trees.  I think I also deleted all their files. When I reinstalled P3D I put it into a diffrent directory from the last time and deleted the old directory so there should be no Flightbeam file remnants causing problems.

Now I'm wondering if there is/are some registry entries that I might need to remove, or something in some other location. Thanks for this reminder, at least it gives me another avenue to explore.

Further to Flightbeam. I can see log files from Flightbeam-Manager.exe and Flightbeam-Updater.exe which have apparently been modified today even though I deleted the Flightbeam software over 3 weeks ago. My computer appears to be haunted!!

The log files are located in:
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\UsageLogs

[Edit] thinking about it I suspect that this may just mean that a system file has accessed the log files and it's nothing to do with FlightBeam

Hi Scaber,

Would you be interested in doing a quick experiment, Just for the NZWN - Wellington and N503 Brooklyn area. Perhaps the freeze could be related to the nearby wind farms and/or their blinking lights.  Brooklyn & Westwind are very close to Wellington, perhaps the freeze is related to the lights pulsing on & off together, or the sheer quantity of rotating objects.

In your  \ORBX\FTX_NZ\FTX_NZNI_05_SCENERY\scenery  folder there are Object .bgl's for the Brooklyn and Westwind  windfarms, as also other locations around  NZNI.

Perhaps temporarily giving them an .off extension may allow you to eliminate them from a possible cause.

28 minutes ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

In your  \ORBX\FTX_NZ\FTX_NZNI_05_SCENERY\scenery  folder there are Object .bgl's for the Brooklyn and Westwind  windfarms, as also other locations around  NZNI.

Perhaps temporarily giving them an .off extension may allow you to eliminate them from a possible cause.

Sadly this doesn't help :- but thanks anyway :)

2 hours ago, Scaber said:

Carlos, thanks for trying this out for me. I did install the Flightbeam NZWN but had previously uninstalled after not liking their trees.  I think I also deleted all their files. When I reinstalled P3D I put it into a diffrent directory from the last time and deleted the old directory so there should be no Flightbeam file remnants causing problems.

Now I'm wondering if there is/are some registry entries that I might need to remove, or something in some other location. Thanks for this reminder, at least it gives me another avenue to explore.

Hi Scaber

Actually the update of Flightbean was to improve precisely the trees, to make them more accurate to Wellington.

The installer brings a tool to disable some Orbx bgl's to avoid compatibility issues, If you run the verify files tool in NZ for the corresponding island I will put them back as active if you don't remember which were the ones to be put off or if you find this method faster.

I don't remember if by uninstalling NZWM the Orbx bgls become active again.

This could be a reason too

My FB+Orbx work perfect.

But if you don't want to keep FB you might try the verify files tool

Just a possibility

Cheers

Carlos

3 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Actually the update of Flightbean was to improve precisely the trees, to make them more accurate to Wellington.

The installer brings a tool to disable some Orbx bgl's to avoid compatibility issues, If you run the verify files tool in NZ for the corresponding island I will put them back as active if you don't remember which were the ones to be put off or if you find this method faster.

I don't remember if by uninstalling NZWM the Orbx bgls become active again.

This could be a reason too

My FB+Orbx work perfect.

But if you don't want to keep FB you might try the verify files tool

Yes, I have run the verify files tool and it says everything checks out ok. My Flightbeam and Orbx worked fine together too, I just really didn't like the overabundance of deciduous trees! So maybe I should reinstall FB and then run their tool and see if that clears anything up.

3 minutes ago, Scaber said:

the overabundance of deciduous trees!

This is exactly what they removed

When I asked they told me that based on feedback from people in Wellington they had to removed those trees, actually they told me that there is almost not variation in the trees through the seasons, which I verified. Yo be honest I loved all those colorful trees jaja  made the scenery great but seemed unrealistic so they're gone

Now if you want to test installing it again, I recommend getting the update first (to get rid of those trees) it would be interesting to know if after installing you'll suffer yet the freezing.

I don't have this problem so why not trying...?

You need to download the installer again.

Cheers

Carlos

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

This is exactly what they removed

When I asked they told me that based on feedback from people in Wellington they had to removed those trees, actually they told me that there is almost not variation in the trees through the seasons, which I verified. Yo be honest I loved all those colorful trees jaja  made the scenery great but seemed unrealistic so they're gone

Now if you want to test installing it again, I recommend getting the update first (to get rid of those trees) it would be interesting to know if after installing you'll suffer yet the freezing.

I don't have this problem so why not trying...?

You need to download the installer again.

Ahh, thanks for that information. I may try that but in the mean time have found some errors being reported by P3D so will post those and see if anyone thinks they are significant or not

It turns out windows was somehow corrupted so have had to resinstall windows (1903) and all my programs again. I did the reinstall of FTX products method that Nick Cooper explained some time ago.

The trouble is, even with this, the problem remains.  On taking off on runway 34, or even flying over runway 34 in a northerly direction there is a 6-7 second freeze.

This can't be a compatibilty issue if I'm starting from scratch, and haven't installed the Flightbeam software, so maybe this could be moved back to the P3Dv4 forum. Unless it has something to do with my hardware :-(

I've basically given up on this being solved as it appears that no one else has this problem at this location.

• 1 month later...

Hi Scaber,

I have the same problem. I see pauses on the same line on the west side of NZWN, not tried east yet.

I noticed that they only occur flying north? I am going to experiment a bit and let you know if i find something

• 3 weeks later...

On my sim I have noticed that when you set 'Autogen and scenery draw distance' to 'Extremely high' the pause completely disappears.

The impact on frame rate is minimal on my system.

i7-6700K @ 4 GHz

GeForce GTX 1080

regards

Jos

Archived