Improve Conversion Process for X-Plane

the scenery was downloaded it starts extractig and then the conversion of probably JPEG dsf files to png dsf files, but when he the conversion process is stopped it restarts the extraction and the conversion process from the start. Since this part of the installation takes much more time than the download itself a resume function or st least several fall back states would be much more sensible.

I several times observed that the Central process simply vanished and when I got back to the computer everything was fine but the Central process simply was no longer there and he had not finished his works.

I have a question related to this.

Orbx Central so far works fine on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04). I had my download interrupted and had to re-start Orbx Central, though. It continued to download files and apparently finished it, but it is now stuck since 1 hour at "conversion", and the progress says "converted: 0 / 19650".

When I check the processes, I see 3 parallel OrbX Central processes, each using between 12% and 21% CPU.

The folder /tmp/Orbx/temp/chunks contains 502 zip files with a total size of 41.1 GB.

The library folder I selected for install (on a different HDD) contains three scenery folders (Custom, Overlay and Orthos).

During the last hour nothing in any of these 4 locations (temp, Custom, Overlay, Orthos) changed, file numbers and sizes are still the same, and none of the jpeg files in Orthos has been converted to png.

So I wonder what exactly the 3 OrbX processes are doing all the time, and if conversion works at all for me?

Edit: I found the central.log and after a restart of OrbX Central, it shows the following:

Orbx Central 4 - 0.17.2
Linux 4.15.0-52-generic
Booting splashscreen.
Application ready to start.
Creating main application window.
[Service::Coordinator]: Coordinator: onStartupEvent fired.
[Service::Auth]: Refreshing session...
[Component::App]: Version 0.17.2
[Service::Auth]: Session refresh successful!
[Service::Coordinator]: Coordinator: onLogin fired.
[Service::Simulator]: Loading previous simulator from settings.
[Service::Simulator]: Selected X-Plane 11 at path /mnt/4e7d6d83-75ed-44be-afb0-560a7f1c6d72/X-Plane 11/
[Service::Coordinator]: Coordinator: onSimSelected fired.
[Service::Library]: Found 1 libraries.
[Service::Socket]: Connected to Socket.IO.
[Service::IPC]: Saturn binary found at: /tmp/.mount_orbx-cF2pPAy/saturn-linux/Saturn
[Service::Socket]: Authenticated with Socket.IO.
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Saturn active
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Attempting to listen on 127.0.0.1:6729
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Listening started
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Waiting for a connection
[Service::Product]: Scanning for installed products.
[Service::Product]: Found 7 potential products installed.
[Service::Product]: ENHA Hamar Stafsberg is installed. (Orbx ENHA Hamar Stafsberg v1.0)
[Service::Product]: ENOV Ørsta-Volda Airport is installed. (Orbx ENOV Orsta-Volda Airport v1.0)
[Service::Product]: KCGX Merrill C. Meigs Field is installed. (Orbx KCGX Meigs Field v1.0)
[Service::Product]: 2B2/6B6 Plum Island Airport & Minute Man Air Field is installed. (Orbx 2B2-6B6 Plum Island Airport and Minute Man Air Field 1.20)
[Service::Product]: L52 Oceano County Airport is installed. (Orbx L52 Oceano County v1.0)
[Service::Product]: KVUO Pearson Field is installed. (Orbx KVUO Pearson Field v1.0)
[Service::Product]: USMV Monument Valley is installed. (Orbx Monument Valley v1.0)
[Service::Analytics]: Sending installed product analytics.
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Job cache found us-washington-xp11
Queue added job 
Started job timer TotalTime
Skipping stage Saturn.Jobs.Install.Stages.MigrateStage
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Skipping stage Saturn.Jobs.Install.Stages.FileScanStage
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Skipping stage Saturn.Jobs.Install.Stages.FullBuildExtractStage
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Skipping stage Saturn.Jobs.Install.Stages.ChunkFinderStage
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Run actions for Disk Check Stage
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Started job timer ActionsTime
Run actions for stage: Before
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Stopped job timer ActionsTime
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: us-washington-xp11: .00%
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Extracter starting
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Extract complete
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Downloader starting
Started job timer DownloadTime
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Downloader picked up pending chunks 502
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Stopped job timer DownloadTime
All downloads complete
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Converter starting
Loading complete list
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Started job timer ConvertTime
Converter picked up pending chunks 502

Convert chunk /tmp/Orbx/temp/chunks/eb67c1b6-f82d-4cb0-bd96-24e727be8d93.c.zip
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Convert chunk /tmp/Orbx/temp/chunks/c79acaf3-b4c7-4e0d-a382-5fc8c30efbe5.c.zip
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Converting Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_Washington_TE_Orthos\textures\b380x58a0x17.JPG
Converting Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_Washington_TE_Orthos\textures\b610x5780x17.JPG
Converting Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_Washington_TE_Orthos\textures\b010x5020x17.JPG
Converting Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_Washington_TE_Orthos\textures\b7a0x56a0x17.JPG
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Converting Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_Washington_TE_Orthos\textures\aff0x5320x17.JPG
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: us-washington-xp11: 33.33% Downloaded: 0 B / 38,27 GB (0 B/s). Converted: 0 / 19650.
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: us-washington-xp11: 66.67% Converted: 0 / 19650.
[Service::IPC]: Socket connected.
[Service::IPC]: Connected to Saturn.
[Service::IPC]: Saturn Log: Connected to client 127.0.0.1:35680
Job us-washington-xp11 not found in store during updateJobInStore method
[]
Job us-washington-xp11 not found in store during updateJobInStore method
[]

And these final lines are then repeated infintely. So I assume it is indeed trying to convert images, but I'm not sure it is successful.

Edit: Cross-posted this in the OrbX Central beta support forum...

Hm, ok... short update: I was assuming that the chunks that were already downloaded will be kept even when I cancel the install process and do another re-start try to install again. Apparently I was wrong, it is now re-downloading the whole 38 GB...

Okay, I let it do this over night and go to bed now, maybe after the re-download it will convert successfully and  tomorrow morning it is done. :) I'll report back tomorrow then...

4 hours ago, Longranger241 said:

the scenery was downloaded it starts extractig and then the conversion of probably JPEG dsf files to png dsf files, but when he the conversion process is stopped it restarts the extraction and the conversion process from the start. Since this part of the installation takes much more time than the download itself a resume function or st least several fall back states would be much more sensible.

I believe you're using FTX Central 3? If so, the process will be improved in Orbx Central (v4) which will be released for public use very shortly.

2 hours ago, Mario Donick said:

Orbx Central so far works fine on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04). I had my download interrupted and had to re-start Orbx Central, though. It continued to download files and apparently finished it, but it is now stuck since 1 hour at "conversion", and the progress says "converted: 0 / 19650".

I've just setup a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine and can reproduce the issue your experiencing. It has worked previously on our development Ubuntu machines, so I believe there may be a difference between my VM/your machine and our other machines. We'll be investigating this issue and let you know when we find a solution. Thanks for all the information!

Hi again,

the complete re-install this night did work :) Somehow the interruption of the initial download probably confused the tool. Just a few minor things:

• I am just confused why it re-downloaded it only after a few re-starts -- maybe add a button which forces deletion of the temp files and re-download, to make this more clear.
  • After download, it was infinitely showing a "starting" text and the turning circle in the Washington page. After another re-start, it had changed to "uninstall", so was done.

In general, the tool is very nice. Clear layout, easy to use, and so far it also seems to work in a reasonable way with the scenery_packs.ini when adding its entries. I also successfully moved my previously installed OrbX scenery to the new library using the "migrate" function. Well done.

19 hours ago, Mario Donick said:

the complete re-install this night did work :)

I'm surprised it worked, but good to hear :) We were missing a dependency and I've created a topic with proper install instructions for Linux so if you run into issues in the future, it might be worth just making sure you have the libc6-dev dependency.

2 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

I'm surprised it worked, but good to hear :) We were missing a dependency and I've created a topic with proper install instructions for Linux so if you run into issues in the future, it might be worth just making sure you have the libc6-dev dependency.

I had libc6-dev already installed. The conversion itself worked fine in my 2nd attempt (except it forgot to delete the jpegs, but thanks to your answer in my other thread, I deleted the jpegs now manually).

Don't know what happened, but glad it is installed now.

Archived