For the Love of Coastal Mid-Atlantic

mglan80

Nothing spectacular about this landscape in reality, just subtle beauty, but it is captured so well in NA openLC.  The textures in this LC are right on the nose here in my neck of the woods, and in other parts I've visited in real life and in the sim.  I love taking a few flights over and around this area every now and then.

Took a quick jump from KPHL to KMCO last night and a few shots I grabbed overflying the Delmarva Peninsula.  and flying over this scenery and seeing how familiar and recognizable it is makes my heart swell.  

One from the leg into KPHL.  Overflying Harrisburg and Three Mile Island.  This is the site of the US's worth nuclear plant disaster.  It's now being shuttered due to economics and the reluctance of Pennsylvania to subsidize.

nyZVgz0.jpg

Over south Jersey and Alloways Creek.  The lack of much elevation in the coastal plain make most of these creeks very serpentine.  Lots of marsh, too.  The Salem nuclear plant is just out of view to the starboard side.

WpVpnaP.jpg

The whole of southern Delaware in this shot.  That's Cape Henlopen off the port wing.  This was the location of Zwaanendael colony, founded by the Dutch in 1631, but lost shortly thereafter due to a dispute with original Nanticoke tribe.  There's a beautiful recreation of the Hoorn, Netherlands city hall in Lewes.  The little town I grew up in is under the tail cone.

cugGoRi.jpg

Cape May to left and Cape Henlopen to the right.

Tqj0Wib.jpg

Over Dover AFB.  Home of the 436th Airlift Wing of the Air Mobility Command.  I grew up under the approach to runway 1 and seeing those countless C-5s sparked my interest in aviation.

yK6V4im.jpg

I'll end with Cape Charles, the end of the Delmarva peninsula, in the distance over the tail and the Hampton Roads area of Virginia off the nose.  The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel spans the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay at Hampton Roads from Cape Charles to Virginia Beach just above the left wing.

Certainly not riveting stuff from 38,000 ft., but I wanted to share because it's just so well done and gives me a great feeling when you can easily recognize the area in the sim.  Plus you got a bit of history!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the replies!

Forgot the last picture, though!

WqJWO9O.jpg

Since I'm at it, here's another above the Chesapeake Bay in the Grumman F3F.  Can never really get the hang of the steep descent needed to land that thing properly.

tAbSCPp.jpg

Archived