Default FTX Aircraft in P3Dv4.5 not working

I was previously running P3Dv4.4 on a Windows 10 64 bit PC, and have just upgraded to v4.5.  There are a lot of FTX aircraft in the "Airplanes" folder, but I have not been able to access any of them in either version of P3D when selecting a vehicle.  Is there another step i need to perform to ensure these aircraft are properly installed and available when selecting a vehicle?  Thanks.

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes

There's a nice selection of "other-than-Lockheed-Martin" aircraft there to choose from.  The only problem is that they do not appear in the Vehicle Selection List, so I cannot select them to fly.  (Strangely though, two of the FTX items do appear in the list - Control Tower High Level and Control Tower Low Level.) 

Any ideas on how to get these aircraft operational will be most welcome!

Those FTX aircraft are the AI planes which come with the FTX add-on traffic packs. They are not supposed to be selectable to fly.

I find the best solution is to create a new entry in the simobjects.cfg and to move all the FTX aircraft over to there instead. That way you do not have a very full list in the Vehicle Selection.

Jack

Thanks Jack, well, that explains what the problem is!  :-)

What a shame, I was hoping to get the Cessna 172 and the Pitts Special working.  Clearly, they won't fly too well if they are only scenery objects!

Any thoughts on where i can download a (flyable!) C172 from?  Thanks.

5 hours ago, Holy Cheese said:

Those FTX aircraft are the AI planes which come with the FTX add-on traffic packs. They are not supposed to be selectable to fly.

I find the best solution is to create a new entry in the simobjects.cfg and to move all the FTX aircraft over to there instead. That way you do not have a very full list in the Vehicle Selection.

Jack

Hi, Jack.  I'd be interested in learning this trick.  Do you mind explaining how to do this?  Thanks!

Stew

Sure Stewart.

Firstly go into P3D4 root folder and find the SimObjects folder. Open this up and create a new folder, which I called AI Aircraft (but you can name it anything). Then move all the FTX aircraft (Important - move, not copy, otherwise you will be plagued with error messages about duplicate aircraft entries next time you start the sim). Just be careful if you re-install the FTX AI Traffic packs at any point, because they automatically install into the main Aircraft folder in SimObjects.

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4, here you will find a file called simobjects.cfg. Open this file with Notepad and make a new entry as follows:

[Entry.10]
PATH=SimObjects\AI Aircraft
TITLE=AI Aircraft
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true

Note my entry is no. 10, but you should make this the next number higher than the last entry in your cfg file. Make sure that the path points to the folder you just made for the AI Aircraft.

That should be it.

Cheers

Jack

Hello, Jack.  Your hint appears to work fine.  I had thought that perhaps UTLive would generate a bunch of errors because it couldn't find my AI aircraft, but so far it looks ok.  Will continue to monitor for any hiccups.

Perhaps this might be posted over at "Tips and Tricks"?

Thanks again, mate.

Stew

Archived