Friday Harbour W33 Floating Dock

I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the exclusion area under the KFHR Scenery (in the area of W33). Most of the default P3D docks and boats are not visible but one area near 48° 32' 3.94" N 123° 0' 26.61" W shows a dock with boats floating about 2m in the air:

MLlf0Gg.jpg

The rest looks fine:

YYxXXNF.jpg

If it's fairly easy to do, point me in the right direction and I will try it myself. This is for P3Dv4.4, Orbx PNW, Global, Vector, & KFHR.

Thanks.

Randy

Strangely enough, they (the boats & dock) only jump into the air when you are getting close to them. Coming in for a landing they are on the water and you can actually see them jump up at a certain distance. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Randy

Hi, Larry. Thanks for replying.

I am using a mesh resolution of 5m as that is what the KFHR guide recommends. However, if I drop it down to 10m the dock and boats stay in the water. :(

Randy

It appears the issue with the marina model object is that it is placed a bit too close to the shoreline, which was probably OK for the default mesh, but with a higher resolution, it actually touches part of the shore and as you get close, and the level of detail increases, the land pushes the marina up to it's elevation at the point they intersect. At least that's my theory. I was able to use ADE to extract the W33 airport from the stock P3D BGL and nudge the marina away from the shore, create an exclusion area and put the created BGL at a higher level. I'm still not completely sure I have uncovered the reason or have the right solution, since the other marina near W33/KFHR seems to have parts that 'attach' to the shore at a higher elevation than 0 AGL but stick to the water anyway. But, I'm a scenery noob so not sure of my explanation. I'll also have to check  to make sure I didn't screw up anything else in the area.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Based on my understanding, you are on the right track, and your solution is easy and practical.  I've asked one of the developers of KFHR for further comment.

(If you have a way to examine static models, notice where the datum of that marina is located.)

Hi Larry. Sorry for the delay. I'll need to learn a bit more about scenery design before I can answer (or understand) your request. I think I know what you mean but need to understand how models interact with the mesh, i.e. where ground level is. Perhaps this is the datum point you mention. I'll see what I can figure out and report back. Thanks.

Randy 

So, upon further investigation, I believe I was going about this all wrong. My initial attempt worked because I altered the stock BGL and placed it above the Orbx layers. The Orbx file ADE_FTX_PNW_KFHR_Friday_Harbor.BGL is the file that actually needs to be fixed as it has the marina and excludes the stock one (among other objects). I was able to change the properties of the marina object (located at N48.533648439, W-123.007608801), removing the checkmark from the 'Altitude is AGL' box, using ADE. I believe this makes it Above Sea Level now (0 feet). Please pass this info along to the designer and maybe an update could be pushed. I don't think it only affects me (but not sure). But with mesh resolution set to 5m or better, it's an (albeit minor) issue. I did notice that the Orbx location of that marina is slightly displaced from the default P3D one. I am using Pilot's FSGU_NG mesh, but I believe the KFHR mesh has precedence. Thanks.

Randy

Archived