Trueearth GB for Aerofly

Yes I found this roadmap after my original post, and I agree the Aerofly offerings for this year are a bit disappointing :(

When I bought Aerofly a year ago I was very enthused about it but I'm a bit concerned now about it's future direction with weather, traffic. ATC etc. 

As long as P3D and Xplane don't have VR I guess all is still possible.

3 minutes ago, Majickthyse said:

Yes I found this roadmap after my original post, and I agree the Aerofly offerings for this year are a bit disappointing :(

When I bought Aerofly a year ago I was very enthused about it but I'm a bit concerned now about it's future direction with weather, traffic. ATC etc. 

As long as P3D and Xplane don't have VR I guess all is still possible.

Well, P3D and Xplane do have VR implemented but compared to Aerofly FS 2 at least P3D is a stuttery mess( I haven´t tried XPlane yet though). The FlyInside Addon makes it a little better but it´s still way behind Aerofly. Of course AFS 2 is still missing essential components of a Flight Simulator like Real Weather, AI Traffic, ATC, dynamic water and complex aircraft systems like realistic mixture, fuel management, loadout and many things more. But when it comes to the flight physics, it easily leaves P3D behind. The visuals are second to none, and performance is over the top. I remember when people laughed at Aerofly and stated that the only reason for its good performance was that it had no autogen buildings, just flat photoreal, but guess what - we now have ORBX Netherlands with full autogen, complex airports like KPSP and Monterey with full autogen and many user developed freeware autogen regions and performance doesn´t go down at all. I can fly over Los Angeles in VR with a fast jet with building density set to max, shadows at ultra and all other settings maxed out on my midrange system and there is not a single stutter or fps drop. In P3D I get stutters, pauses and CTDs over an area like this even with medium settings. I urge everyone to give Aerofly a chance, especially if you´re interested in VR. Though there are still many things to be desired, the visuals, performance and flight model are simply another world. And there is a very active freeware community. Two user created aircraft have been released until now, at least two others are in development, and there are some very good freeware sceneries and it´s quite easy to develop your own. And the bigger the Aerofly community gets, the more interesting it will be for payware developers like ORBX to offer their sceneries for this platform.

Cheers, Fabian

Thanks for the encouraging response Fabian.  I didn't realise P3D and Xplane have VR, but I'll hang on to see how AF2 develops for now.

I prefer VFR flying, so I guess that should make me easier to please than some when it comes to features. 

I remember getting 1.5 fps over a London add-on  with FSX; it's easy to forget how lucky we are AF2 :)

I'd echo what Fabian says, AFS2 is in a different league in VR compared to the older sims. The new R22 helicopter physics are as good as anything ever made for DCS or X-Plane and OrbX scenery really shines. I have a few of the OrbX products across AFS2 and other platforms and they just look much better in AFS2. Also buildings are all solid unlike XP11, so you can get very close to the OrbX artwork landing the R22 on rooftops anywhere you fancy and appreciate the detail so much more.

1 hour ago, John Hargreaves said:

I'd echo what Fabian says, AFS2 is in a different league in VR compared to the older sims. The new R22 helicopter physics are as good as anything ever made for DCS or X-Plane and OrbX scenery really shines. I have a few of the OrbX products across AFS2 and other platforms and they just look much better in AFS2. Also buildings are all solid unlike XP11, so you can get very close to the OrbX artwork landing the R22 on rooftops anywhere you fancy and appreciate the detail so much more.

It's worth mentioning that AFS 2 has real rigid Body physics, and your aircraft reacts realistically to other objects it touches, though there's no damage to individual parts like in some combat sims. But unlike P3D I don't have to turn some crash detection off to avoid wrecking my plane by slightly touching a shrub with a ground speed of 2 knots. As said above, all objects, buildings and whatever are solid and interact with your aircraft as expected. The developer once said in a forum thread that AFS 2 isn't a flight simulator, it's a physics engine and if you put some parts together that happen to create lift you're able to fly ;-) 

18 hours ago, Majickthyse said:

I also bought AF2 because or ORBX statement, what 2 years or less ago, and I have no regret at all.

They are a small team, but what they put out is generally breathtaking. It's also a new platform.. look at Xplane... 11, yep 11.

P3D is an revamped FSX so it must be version 37 :D 

Flight Sim World didn't last long so it's a difficult market out there.

I have good hope for them, I use it as much as P3D.

Their Switzerland DLC as to be one of the most impressive flight sim scenery ever made of all sim platform.

Ben

6 hours ago, Benny said:

I also bought AF2 because or ORBX statement, what 2 years or less ago, and I have no regret at all.

They are a small team, but what they put out is generally breathtaking. It's also a new platform.. look at Xplane... 11, yep 11.

P3D is an revamped FSX so it must be version 37 :D 

Flight Sim World didn't last long so it's a difficult market out there.

I have good hope for them, I use it as much as P3D.

Their Switzerland DLC as to be one of the most impressive flight sim scenery ever made of all sim platform.

Ben

The Switzerland DLC is further improved by the freeware autogen either by ORBX developer Sylvain Delepierre or on flight-sim.org. Another breathtaking scenery that's even part of the default is the area between San Francisco and half Moon Bay with the Freeware autogen files by drassaud, also available on flight-sim.org. Take off at San Francisco international, circle around the bay over the Oakland Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge and then head south to Half Moon Bay. One of the most beautiful flights I ever did. 

Regarding the features still missing, I couldn't say it better than Benny. FSX/P3D and Xplane needed years, even decades and a huge amount of third party Addons to become what they are today, so we can't expect AFS 2 to develop any faster. But even today it's downright the best VR flightsim experience you'll ever get. 

• 4 months later...

If anything I think XP11 is falling behind in VR. There is a new generation of higher res headsets out this year and you've got AFS2 running smooth as an Olympic curling team and then XP which seems to drop 10fps every time there is a beta update. I'm running it at 20fps thanks to ASW motion smoothing but it's painful compared to AFS2. Even DCS, which is based on an old engine, is running reasonably well in VR. I really hope Laminar's move to Vulkan gives their VR side a shot in the arm, cos I love XP the most out of them all, but boy is it underperforming at the moment in VR.

I've been pootling round TE Netherlands in the Reverb in AFS2 and I'm feeling like VR is starting to get really interesting again. After the initial buzz of the CV1, the elephant in the room of the screen door and fuzzy resolution became tiresome, so this year we are seeing things start to get moving again.

After a couple of days with the Reverb I'm now more excited than ever for TEGB for AFS2, it's time to really see all that work that OrbX has put into this scenery.

Archived