Why do all golf courses disappear?

Borgillios

I bought and installed Open LC EU and I really like the looks of the landscape. But one thing is really disappointing, the golf courses disappear. Is there really nothing that can be done about this? Anyone else noticed this and found a solution. I have UTX Europe installed and OpenLC draws an open quarry where the golf course should be. If I uninstall UTX there is nothing. Please give me some advice.

Best regards 

Börje

Open LC products replaces terrain textures for that area. If you want more details such as golf courses then you require Global Vector to do so. Be warned though in the product details Global Vector requires Global Base Pack to work correctly. Wether Global Base Pack is required when you have Open LC EU installed is something that only the experts can comment on.

Cheers.

Its Global Vector that puts down golf courses as well as refines roads and coastlines plus many other points if interest. I have vector and all golf courses are shown....even the bunkers and the fairways. Have a read of the Global Vector details in the OrbxDirect website found by clicking the OrbxDirect tab at the top of this page.

Ok. I was hoping I could use the land class from UTX for this. When I run FSX with UTX and FTX global but not Open LC EU I see golf courses where they should be. With Open LC it substitutes golf courses with an open quarry texture. Odd. Maybe there are no golf course tiles in FTX Global. Maybe they come with Global Vector. Just speculating and trying to get it to work.

Hi there,

openLC EU contains lots of golf courses. However, it uses different internal class/texture names than the default types, which probably explains the clash when UTX is active. Have you tried temporarily deactivating UTX to check whether the openLC golf courses reappear?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger

I have two pictures to show you whar I mean. The location is  4.2 nm south of ESGI in Sweden.82794627_Alingsascolfdefaultftxglobal.thumb.jpg.8f2deabe3616da3b18743501565ef84e.jpg

Above. This is how it looks with FTX Global and UTX EU.

1470958689_AlingsasgolfcourseftxglobalopenlcEU.thumb.jpg.e9cd144e6fd4610935bd0af1df443d42.jpg

Above. This is how it looks with FTX Global, UTX and Opel LC.

1697234762_AlingsascolfcoursedisabledcoursesinUTXwithopenLCEU.thumb.jpg.11baa69b53337282935d202b8f709bd7.jpg

Above. This is how it looks whith FTX Global, disabled golf courses in UTX and OPen LC active.

Can you understand what is happening. I think UTX has more info on landclass for golf courses and my hope is to be able to use that for the beautiful FTX Global textures but it is substituted with an open quarry. What is happening here?

Best regards

Hi again,

thanks for the coordinates. I've checked and, indeed, neither openLC EU nor Vector place a golf course at this location.

The issue with the incorrect texture has to do with the different classifications used by the two add-ons: the custom golf course class utilized by UTX happens to be an gravel mine class in openLC EU. 

Have you tried moving the UTX entries below the Orbx openLC EU block? I'm not sure it would make a difference because it's the locally active raster landclass file that determines where the polygon landclass picks its textures from and, with openLC EU active, that would be openLC EU. Still, it can't hurt to experiment.

Another possible compromise would be to deactivate the "ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE2" entry, which is the Scandinavian part of openLC EU, so that you would just use Global Base in that area.

Cheers, Holger

Is there no way to change the classification in UTX or Open LC so that they match? I have tried the insertion point without luck and if I deactivate Open LC I miss the land class they give me. I want it all, both Open LC land class and the golf course:)

Hi Borgillios,

sorry, the classification is encoded in the bgl files and can't be changed without major re-work of either product.

I'm a bit surprised that the Swedish golf courses are missing in the openLC EU files but perhaps they weren't part of Open Street Map extracts when openLC was worked on about five years ago. I'll send an email to the developer, perhaps he'll consider an update.

Cheers, Holger

Archived