Elevation Issues Between ORBX and NAVDATA

BBQSteve

I'm seeing more and more reports of scenery elevation issues when ORBX airports and NAVDATA files are used. I believe I read somewhere that ORBX uses elevation data based upon the PILOTS GLOBAL 2010 elevations. Is it not possible to at least have two sets of elevation data available at install time to correct these problems? It really seems impossible that airports change elevation that much over the course of 20 years.

Hello,

I am not sure that this is the case except where the add on airport is not also default airport.

Some of the "navdata" programs amend default simulator files introducing airport data which

is not excluded by the airport files, because it was not there to exclude.

This means that there are then effectively two airports in the same place and the anomalies occur.

This has nothing to do with mesh, which affects the terrain around an airport but never on it.

There has even been one case, nothing to do with Orbx files but of course posted here anyway,

where an airport was added by the navdata program, only for the customer to find that there was nothing

there at the "go to" location because no one had made the airport model.

These seem to be occasional drawbacks of using the additional navdata.

These "occasional drawbacks" as you put it are as I said, becoming more frequent as we add airports, thus the upswing in elevation problems being reported. What I am suggesting/discussing is that developers should get together with the folks introducing elevation issues with albeit correct elevation data and come up with a solution. If it is as simple as eliminating the NAVDATA elevation corrections or the more complicated but correct method of incorporating the data into scenery via updates, then come up with a solution. This should probably also include sim publishers, like Lockheed, Aerosoft and X-plane. Which brings up another question, does the other sims have the same elevation issues and if no, why not?

Nick, I'm not going to play games. Just about every report in these forums that does not have a vector component can almost always be attributed to NAVDATA updates if installed. If I really wanted to play, I could go through my base scenery files and see just how many have been saved from the original install and substituted in after the NAVDATA update.

Again I ask more obviously, how many x-plane and afs2 elevation issues have been observed?

Archived