How to exclude rivers

Rowcoach

Good evening,

I was just wondering if Vector does anything different to water (rivers and lakes)? I have been trying to exclude a section of a small river, but I’m not having any luck. I’m using ADE and exclude polygons, but nothing seems to change. 

Ive never done this before, so there is a very good chance I’m doing something wrong. Do ORBX water ways in ntseaxt the same way as default rivers when using programs like ADE?

Thanks,

Colin

Thank you for moving my post to the correct forum. Wasn't sure if this was a Vector issue.

Just a follow up. I've checked Google Earth and there is a slight discrepancy in the shore line around rwy 3 at Nome, AK (PAOM)

Here is the airport in FSX (with Vector)

c4SIMRj.jpg

And here is what it looks like in Google Earth

Jc0ksRO.jpg

Is it possible for me to remove that little bay at the foot of the apron myself? I'd like to make it just a narrow river/creek. Is that something for a later update?

Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Vector uses the same type of water polygons as the default landscape files; in fact, there really only is only that one type for water anyway. The correct tag for your ADE polygon would be Exclude General > Water Polys (plus > Shorelines for shoreline vectors).

Unfortunately, there's no spatial precision with these excludes meaning the entire polygon (or polygons) touched by your exclude polygon will be removed. Thus, you'll like have to re-draw quite a bit of the river and shoreline.

Cheers, Holger

Good afternoon Holger

That's what I was hoping. I think I may be doing something wrong. I've tried exclude general as well as specific  and nothing seems to change. That's why I was wondering if Vector does something different with the water textures.

Does this look right to you?

hipn7MX.jpg

Cheers,

colin

Hi Colin,

looks good to me assuming that the polygon touches the water. That being said, Vector uses a trick to allow for seasonal display of "frozen" water surfaces. Thus, if you don't have that option unchecked (we recommend it being unchecked) you may also need to place a "Parks" exclude to get rid of the duplicate elements that would appear as water polygons during the summer months.

The resulting _CVX.bgl should then be placed in an active scenery folder above the Vector entries.

Cheers, Holger  

Archived