Runways + Terrain Contours

Hi all,

I've just installed TEGB South, and after a bit of poking around in managing to install it properly, it appears that it has affected the way in which runways follow - or rather don't follow - terrain contours anymore.

The option is ticked and so therefore I should have runways that aren't totally flat (tried and tested at airports that prior to installation of TEGBS).

Does the scenery affect the way that runways follow terrain? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

4 hours ago, Charlie Wooding said:

Hi all,

I've just installed TEGB South, and after a bit of poking around in managing to install it properly, it appears that it has affected the way in which runways follow - or rather don't follow - terrain contours anymore.

The option is ticked and so therefore I should have runways that aren't totally flat (tried and tested at airports that prior to installation of TEGBS).

Does the scenery affect the way that runways follow terrain? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

I had the opposite problem so it therefore indicates that the follow terrain contours actually is working. I had a problem at EGBS airfield where there was an unwanted mesh rise on the runway. It transpires I had the "follow terrain contours" ticked. Unticking removed the mesh hill/rise.

Maybe you can attach your scenery ini to allow a quick check on the layering you have.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163175-mesh-problem-at-egbs-te-gbs/?tab=comments#comment-1435615

1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

I had the "follow terrain contours" ticked. Unticking removed the mesh hill/rise.

Maybe you can attach your scenery ini to allow a quick check on the layering you have.

if you have a problem like that again at a single airport, try flattening it alone, its an option you can check in wed when you click on the airport name, normally that should do.  it also doesn't hurt to check the altitude of the airport in wed

Afternoon,

Thanks for your replies.

That's interesting how it worked for you. I've got a freeware EGLF that features a sloped runway, and - before the installation of TEGBS - the curvature was smooth and realistic. Now though it's jagged and virtually unusable. On the contrary, I've another freeware scenery (TDG EGGW) that was once curved greatly, and is now flat as a pancake. It's a shame as the curvature in the runways is what initially drew me to XP11.

I'd like to have the smooth curves in the runway as per what they were prior to installation of the mesh. I've read about exclusion zones using WED and tried to implement my own to no avail. Dead -flat infrastructure for me is a no-no, nor do I want those god awful sharp bumps. I realise that this might be something I cannot control, but what I can't grasp is how all of a sudden, what were once gentle slopes are now either sharp bumps, or the entire runway is as flat as an ironing-board.

I will attach the ini file shortly, but if it saves the time, its ordered as follows:

Addon Airports

Global Airports

Scenery

Libraries

ORBX TGBS A

-------------- B

-------------- C

@Charlie Wooding

I understand your concern. I too enjoy the sloping runways, where applicable. TEGBS includes a mesh in it's files so there "may" be a clash if you have any other mesh installed like HD Mesh(alpilotx), so check that out if appropriate.

The layer order you have shown (really need the ini) is not really correct for TEGBS. The suggested layering is:

Addon airports

London Landmarks ( these need to be above TEGBS so in reality could be below Global airports but above TEGBS)

Global airports

TEGBS A, B & C

Sceneries

Libraries( these can be anywhere but why not have them below?:))

Mesh

With your TEGBS being below Sceneries it could be influencing mesh.

I am not an expert in any way, just offering my thoughts based on my XP11 with TEGBS layered as above is flawless, albeit that I needed to NOT follow contours.

I don't know if you have Disk space but what i have done is installed a 2nd copy of XP11 with only Europe/Scandinavia. I use this for purely TEGB and Orbx released and upcoming XP airports. No real freeware EG-- airports added. If I ever want to fly outside GB into the other parts of EU/Scandinavia I have shortcut links to airports and Libraries from my main XP11 install (on the same drive) which I copy into the Custom Scenery when required. When not in use I put the in a XP directory file I call Custom Scenery  (disabled).

Here is what my ini looks like:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGFF_A_Cardiff/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGHI_A_Southampton/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_ENOV_A_Orsta_Volda/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_ENHA_A_Hamar_Flyplass/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGKA_A_Shoreham/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGKA_B_Shoreham_Roads/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_0_GB_South_TrueEarth_Exclusions/................this file is no longer available and will not be required after the release of TEGBS SP1.
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Oresund Bridge EKDK/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_OrbxlibsXP/

Archived