Problem with Flashing FTX Global Night Textures

honanhal

I've been having this issue for a while but somehow it seems to have gotten worse or more noticeable lately. It may also be happening during the day, but it's really only noticeable at night. Every few seconds a terrain tile in the vicinity of my aircraft momentarily flashes brightly -- seemingly an underlying texture beneath vectors, autogen, etc.

It's pretty clearly visible in the video I've attached, both close to the aircraft and happening in the distance (looks almost like a lightning flash). It's killing any immersion I have flying at night. Any idea what might be causing this?

I've already checked the migration troubleshooter (all fine) and tried refreshing my terrain.cfg. Neither helped, unfortunately.

Thanks for any help,

James

I'm running a 6700K at 4.7 GHz, 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, GTX 1070. CPU temperatures are typically in the 60-70C range even under heavy load, so no thermal throttling or anything like that (GPU is also at very comfortable temperatures, no OC).

I just tried it with one of the default Carenado planes, flying as slow as it would go. Exact same thing as in my video above.

Thanks, Doug. Something to try once I’ve run through the other possibilities (I have a number of addons I’d need to reinstall, making it a bit of an involved process).

I tried disabling addon mesh in case of a conflict (didn’t help) and updating my video drivers (didn’t help with this, but better performance so that’s a win).

Out of curiosity, do you use PTA or any other shader tool? That (and FTX Global) seems to be one common thread for everyone experiencing this issue.

James

Hi James

Yes I am using the Matt Davies PTA Preset.....also keep in mind that FTX Global base is a default texture replacement (not an addon) and it was developed long before LM starting moving goal posts and changing rules, so it may also be worth testing with the default textures before reinstalling FTX Global Base...

• 1 month later...

A quick update — after messing with a few other possible causes (eg shaders etc) I’m almost positive I’ve narrowed it down to either Global or Vector. Since I’ll shortly be moving to 4.4 and will start out without either of those installed, I’ll see which one it is that causes the flashes. 

Archived