Failed partial install - ran out of room on SSD

Nick Staib

Hi,

I had recently installed XP11 onto a Win10 PC, and yesterday bought and downloaded the promising new ORBX Southern Britain scenery. The issue is that the ORBX scenery tried to install itself into the Custom Scenery folder, but in doing the decompression stage (I think) ran out of disc space. Now, whenever I load a South coast airport, XP11 closes to the desktop, after displaying this error message:

BE ADVISED

Error, could not locate image file for terrain

Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB-South_TrueEarth.... (etc)

As is normal these days, the PC came with an SSD and HD.  XP11 was already on the SSD, and the ORBX scenery defaulted to the same place, when I had imagined (given the enormous size multiple areas will add up to) that it would offer a choice of storage locations.

If I can get my head around creating symbolic links to a new folder on the large D drive - are there any good guides - will I now be able to reinstall the ORBX scenery on that drive from FTX Central 3?

Do I need to download it all again?  

Any pointers to the wisest process appreciated!

Nick

PC - Win 10 v1803,

i7 8700,

RAM 16Gb,

GTX 1070Ti

Thanks Nick for the very prompt reply,

Since writing, and based on someone else's comment I decided to first simply run the Verify command in FTX central.

It spotted missing files and downloaded them - no issues converting, no warnings about disk space, and reporting all good.

I also spotted a message from you in September suggesting a simpler alternative, which is to reinstall XP11 on the large storage drive as load times are not that different. This will be my plan B.

I'm going to fire up XP11 and check it all out now... 

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

Sorry to pester you, but am trying to get this working properly.

It IS a bit better. I can now at least fly along the South coast, but the sim crashes if I try and fly a bit North eg towards London.

The TrueEarth_Orthos folder only contains 93.3Gb (23,955 files) - pretty sure I read elsewhere it should be approx 120Gb.

If I move XP11 to my larger D drive, off the SSD one, can I then use FTX to reinstall the full quota of files on that drive? Will it just find where to try and install it?

Thanks,

Nick

Archived