A non-scientific glance at some sim FPS on a 2080 ti

HiFlyer

I would have included Aerofly as well, but my pics had some non-Orbx sceneries.

Ny P3D: Default (GPU Sleeping)

Bon8rc.png

NY P3D: Display and World options maxed (GPU still Sleeping)9Za0Vm.png

NY P3D: EVERY P3D option maxed except water/Clouds/traffic which are at default (Gpu wakes up a bit and yawns)
OxGhbo.png

X-Plane 11 NY: All settings Maxed

MhUz3N.png

X-Plane 11 NY: All settings maxed (Except reflections OFF)

0O7rBs.png

X-Plane 11 NY: All settings maxed (Except Reflections & Shadows OFF)

7lywLv.png

All maxed except reflections

GNWJzD.png

Wait, I guess I can post at least one of my Aerofly tests:

Aerofly Netherlands Max settings 1440p
UDaBMn.png

Guest Colin M

Are you finding any performance gains with your RTX 2080 Ti in flight simulation, ARMA 3 if you use it over your GTX1080 Ti I think it was you had before?

Have heard for high end gamers on 4K the RTX is the usual Nvidia next gen series of 15% to 25% sort of gain over the last series after all in some benchmarks, early reports were saying different because of the cards ray tracing ability, but more interested in any performance gain in different flight simulators compared to the GTX1080 / Ti / Titan X based cards in say FSX, P3D, Xplane, Aerofly, DCS, Il2 ... if you have them, tall order, sorry :)  Its just that flight sims are rarely tested and benched with new GPU's and even CPU's on the major sites.

I may get one if prices come down early next year, but honestly at 4K, occasional Oculus rift stuff, not having any performance problems with anything I do just now on Titan X Pascal.

I guess what I'm asking is, have you found any Sim, Game, Application where your jaw has dropped and you thought, "Yeah, this was a worthwhile upgrade"?  Not being funny or anything, just genuinely curious.

I know too its about wants, not needs, guilty of that as well :)

Enjoy the card.

7 hours ago, Colin M said:

Are you finding any performance gains with your RTX 2080 Ti in flight simulation, ARMA 3 if you use it over your GTX1080 Ti I think it was you had before?

There are gains to be had, but it seems you kind of have to dig for them. In P3D for instance, the CPU dominates, so at first there seems to be little change. Dig slightly deeper, and you find that all the GPU dependant features: shadows, effects, etc can now be pretty much maxed and still not stress the card that much, which is new for me. Whether that's worth the dollar outlay for the card, or even if it's really all that noticeable visually when push comes to shove, is up to the individual.

Aerofly got just about the boost one would expect, and even X-plane is, according to the readings, making pretty good use of the card.

I guess what I'm asking is, have you found any Sim, Game, Application where your jaw has dropped and you thought, "Yeah, this was a worthwhile upgrade"?  Not being funny or anything, just genuinely curious.

What I do notice is that the task of rendering stereo images in VR, which is mostly handled by the card, seems to be of benefit nearly across the board, providing that you can provide at least the minimum 45fps. This makes for a noticeably nicer VR experience in X-plane, and even a bit in P3D (assuming you can provide those 45fps!)

I know too its about wants, not needs, guilty of that as well :)

The card is pricey, but its not as bad as it seems. I put my 1080ti for sale on Ebay, thinking it might sell in a week or so (maybe) but in fact, within hours I had numerous offers, one of which I finally accepted for $500 from a PC system (gaming) builder corporation! 

Took a bit of the bite out of the cost of grabbing the 2080ti, and apparently it's a sellers market out there for those looking to ditch a 1080ti

Last night I spent quality time reading up on recommended settings and dialing it back a bit, while still looking for a quality image and good FPS.

Again, it seems the best use of the 2080ti is in maxing all settings that are most dependant of the GPU in P3D while staying pretty standard with the rest.

I hope the following is a bit more encouraging:

827YcC.jpg

bIHxGs.jpg

Y0ZnFA.jpg

AiiuAO.jpg

ZIaCfg.jpg

KvxX2D.jpg

Qm8Kes.jpg

Guest Colin M

Its true though, only turn mine on once in a while for a quick check, if it looks smooth enough  ... it is smooth enough :)

I'll perhaps have a look at a 2080Ti in spring 2019 when prices drop a bit more (hopefully) by all accounts it is an improvement over my current Titan X Pascal 12 GB that can then be passed down to my next rig.

Crazy prices for graphic cards these days though, crazy!

Search and destroy mission! I turned all X-plane settings to their max, then went in and started upping the sims hidden internal settings until it finally crashed. Then I took one step back and took some pictures.

The thing I like about XP is its rock steady FPS. If you are in your thirties, that's where you generally stay, even as you pan around. No wild jumps all over the place, and that means even relatively low framerates create a remarkably smooth experience.

0N8SXq.jpg

8HIMDA.jpg

bAzqr8.jpg

Archived