Queries in the installation of products

Hello,

I just acquired ORBX scenes for P3D.

With FTX Central, I installed BASE. It is asked 2 times where to install the scenes, and where to save them. I answered to save them on a disk L, and to install them on a disk D, P3D being on a disk P.

By installing VECTOR, there is no backup directory, and I do not know where the files were installed.

I note in my disk D, that there are many folders and subfolders * .zip, interesting BASE and VECTOR. What is the point ?

In the P: \ Prepar3D directory, there is a new ORBX directory, with 4 subdirectories: FTX_Vector, Scripts, User Documents, and FTX_OLC.

In the L disk, there are 4 directories: Texture, ORBX (with subdirectories), Scenery, and Effects. There does not seem to have been any backup of VECTOR.

In SCENERY.CFG, no ORBX entry appears. Normal or not? What will happen when I install TREES, EUROPE, and more?

What is ORBX Libraries, which I did not buy or install, but which appears in my FTX Central folder?

When installing VECTOR it is asked where to insert the point into the library. What to answer?

In FTX Central / General, there are several checkboxes:

- What's the point of Multiple threads,

- What's the point of Search for files locally?

- What is the interest of Use ObjectFlow 2?

Thank you for your answers to my many questions!

Ok right let’s try and start. Why are you installing everything to different drives. Which is your windows drive and what size are your drives. What P3D do you have. Put that on one drive, the biggest you have say a 1tb drive or slightly smaller. Put all Orbx on that one drive and yes you do need the ORBX Libraries very important. Tell us what Orbx items you have, then we can help you. Derek.

I have multiple hard drives (not multiple partitions on one drive), and like to separate things, in case of problems.
My Windows is on a C: \ SSD that does not have another program to avoid problems in case of restoration.
I have a 1 To drive to put my documents, including my additional sceneries of P3D (and I would like to put ORBX scenes on this drive).
I have a 500 Mo P: \ drive to put my programs, including P3Dv4.
I have a L: \ 500 Mo drive where I put the various downloads that could serve me later (especially freeware scenes regarding the simulation), and where I would like to put the backups proposed by ORBX.

In FTX Central, I notice :
I bought and installed FTX Global Base Pack, and Vector
I bought but not installed Tree HD, OpenLC Europe, OpenLC North America
I did not buy Libraries, but I notice that it is in my folder, but not installed.

Here is what I can tell you right now.

Thank you for your help.

Good night !

Hello,

FTX Central is designed to install the files into the simulator root folder and it

finds out where that is by looking in the Windows registry.

You cannot tell it where to install files.

This is where FTX Central has installed the files.

In the P: \ Prepar3D directory, there is a new ORBX directory, with 4 subdirectories: FTX_Vector, Scripts, User Documents, and FTX_OLC.

When you install FTX Global Base, it does ask you if you wish to make a back up of the

default simulator textures and if you say yes, it then requires you to select a location in

which to store that backup.

This is where FTX Central has stored the backup and it did so because you told it to,

it cannot do anything else but what it is told.

In the L disk, there are 4 directories: Texture, ORBX (with subdirectories), Scenery, and Effects.

There is no back up made when you install FTX Vector.

If you decide to download a product and keep a back up of the installation files, the files will be stored where you choose.

It is likely that these files

I note in my disk D, that there are many folders and subfolders * .zip, interesting BASE and VECTOR. What is the point ?

are the back up that you chose to download with your product and asked FTX Central to store them on your D drive.

Your remaining questions

In SCENERY.CFG, no ORBX entry appears. Normal or not? What will happen when I install TREES, EUROPE, and more?
What is ORBX Libraries, which I did not buy or install, but which appears in my FTX Central folder?

will be resolved when you install the Orbx libraries, without which none of the products will work

and no scenery library entries will be made.

Once you have installed them, please use this guide to place the scenery entries correctly.

Untitled.jpg

Finally,

What's the point of Multiple threads,

This allows downloads to be faster

- What's the point of Search for files locally?

This allows the installer to look for and copy files from an existing simulator installation

instead of downloading them, saving time and bandwidth.

- What is the interest of Use ObjectFlow 2?

Objectflow2 is the device by which scenery features that vary with time and season and the weather

are controlled.

A good example is building roofs, which can be covered in snow in winter but not in summer.

Not all products use objectflow, it is mainly for the payware airports.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

FTX Central is designed to install the files into the simulator root folder and it

finds out where that is by looking in the Windows registry.

You cannot tell it where to install files.

This is where FTX Central has installed the files. 

When you install FTX Global Base, it does ask you if you wish to make a back up of the

default simulator textures and if you say yes, it then requires you to select a location in

which to store that backup.

This is where FTX Central has stored the backup and it did so because you told it to,

On 8/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, Nick Cooper said:

There is no back up made when you install FTX Vector.

If you decide to download a product and keep a back up of the installation files, the files will be stored where you choose.

It is likely that these files 

are the back up that you chose to download with your product and asked FTX Central to store them on your D drive.

Your remaining questions

will be resolved when you install the Orbx libraries, without which none of the products will work

and no scenery library entries will be made.

Once you have installed them, please use this guide to place the scenery entries correctly. 

Untitled.jpg

Finally,

This allows downloads to be faster

This allows the installer to look for and copy files from an existing simulator installation

instead of downloading them, saving time and bandwidth.

Objectflow2 is the device by which scenery features that vary with time and season and the weather

are controlled.

A good example is building roofs, which can be covered in snow in winter but not in summer.

Not all products use objectflow, it is mainly for the payware airports.

Archived