Missing Racecourses

roadrabbit

First, a huge thank-you to the people at Orbx for the work they have done producing fantastic scenery for the flight simulation community. The quality and reproduction of the real-world is second to none. It is so good that it makes true VFR flying not only possible, but a real joy. I am part of a team that teach online VFR flying around England using Orbx England (as well as the base Orbx scenery products) through BAV Virtual.

However (you knew there would be a "however"), there is one glaring omission - that of horse racecourses.

I am only aware of Orbx England, but I suspect it may be the same for other regions. This is inexplicable for a variety of reasons, but most of all because horse racecourses make such obvious VFR reference points. It is even more odd because in England the aviation authorities actually use certain racecourses as Visual Reporting Points (VRP's). Examples are Aintree and Haydock Park in the Liverpool and Manchester areas.

Please Orbx, in the future, could you please add these racecourses to your regional scenery files - it would be greatly appreciated. You have already added sports stadia for soccer, so the precedent has already been set.

You might consider adding some details of what's missing to the POIs of England thread. It's a while since I uninstalled FSX, so I forget which features are missing from OrbX England, but it would probably be worth mentioning this while development is still in progress. Even better if you can give some photos and locations. I would imagine that the horse racecourses are more likely to be visible this time round though, as TE uses ortho photos as a base. I think there was a post in that thread that said motor racing tracks could be seen.

As I have written elsewhere in this forum lately, please add world known cricket and rugby grounds. As I am a fanatic for the above sports, but to be fair, I should throw in soccer grounds too. Thanks too for the mention of race courses.

Jim

Archived