Using a symbolic link to move the Orbx folder

surfcandy

I have read through Nick's solution I have a question.Capture2222.PNG.e61fe5aeec64a64a4de95968cd5ee987.PNG 

Will this set up of a synbolic link allow me for example keep most of my Orbx scenery that I  already have installed for Prepar3d and FSX  on drive C and say the new installed Netherlands and Germany scenery on a different drive called drive Z? Or does all of Orbx scenery files have to be on a same single drive?

If Netherlands and / or Germany have their own folder then a symbolic link will work.

A symbolic link is just a pointer to another location on your computer. So if a program is looking for a folder in a particular place and finds a symbolic link, basically the symbolic link is saying is " It's not here anymore. It's over there.".

If you are familiar with program shortcuts, then another way of thinking about a symbolic link is that it is a shortcut for a folder.

I am still unclear. I have all Orbx now on my C drive. If I purchase Netherlands and other scenery can I place that download and scenery files on a different drive say drive Z for example and have it accessed through the program  symbolic link to work seamlessly with the main Orbx program on the C drive ?

• 3 months later...

Hello,

probably you did, FTX Central needs to see the ORBX\User documents\Versions folder.

If you open your ORBX symbolic link in the simulator folder, what do you see?

The symbolic link must be named "ORBX", then any installer will install into it.

Did you perhaps try to create a symbolic link when there was already an ORBX folder there?

Thanks, is what you see in there identical to what is in your remote folder, or is what you see just what your recent installation of

FTX Global Base pack and perhaps the libraries put in there?

If you look inside the Versions folder you will be able to tell.

Do you also have another symbolic link, as if the installer created a new ORBX folder, there cannot have been one there in the first place.

It might be named ORBX (symbolic link)

EDIT: I see that it was.

You need to delete the link, move all the files from your ORBX folder in the simulator folder to the remote location and then delete the ORBX

folder from the simulator folder.

Then when you create a new symbolic link, it will be named ORBX and all will be well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick, I'm still not clear on whether you can move some but not all Orbx folders to another drive and use a symbolic link to connect them to the main Orbx folder in the P3D folder. 

For example, I'm running short of space on my SSD. I don't fly much in Orbx AU or NZ. Can I use symbolic links to move these 2 folders to another drive? And if so, are there any other files or folders that would have to accompany this move so that updates to them are recognized?

Thanks,

Robert

Latest Order Number 5c0a4e15c4931

Hi Nick,

I'm in desperate need of creating a symbolic link for my Orbx directory as my FSX drive is showing "red" in Windows Explorer. Orbx is currently taking up 324gb of my 1tb Evo drive that plugs into one of my PCIe ports.

I have read several subjects on creating symbolic links and was looking at creating a symbolic link using the command MKLINK /D as it appears easier than other methods. I looked back at one of your earlier posts concerning symbolic links and notice that your own preferred method is to use the Link Shell Extension.

At the present moment, I have a dedicated FSX drive (D:) which contains the ORBX directory and I intend creating a symbolic link to my (H:) drive which is an HDD (I am aware of the increased loading times I am likely to encounter).

What I am completely ignorant about, is how to actually set up my symbolic link in the first instance and whether or not I need to move my current D:\FSX\ORBX folder to H:\ORBX. I also understand that I need to keep my D:\FSX\ORBX folder albeit that this folder is completely empty.

Can you or somebody please give me some assistance with this matter?

Kindest regards

Colin     

Archived