Showing the locals how it's done

John Dow

Berendorff Road airstrip, south of Maryborough Queensland.  Downhill takeoff with a 45 degree 8 kt tailwind, circuit bouncing of the foothills into a downwing downhill landing.  I'm a bit surprised I made it to be honest.  Carenado Mooney is the chariot.

http://www.avalonvolunteers.com/FSXVideos/Berendorff.wmv

(26MD, right click to download to avoid stutters)

Enjoy

• 5 weeks later...

Reckon it might be about there squire, though I did fly south from Maryborough to chance upon it.  The bgls made by bliksimpie make it easy to find.

After I landed first time the bloke standing in the hayshed said I'd landed downhill and downwind, why? and I said to show you pineapple-eaters how to do it, he bet me $50 I couldn't do it again.  So to do it again I had to approach from the northern side, necessitating a RH circuit nice and close to the ridge. 

That's what I like about outback flying, you can leave half the rules behind, makes it more exciting.  Wheeling an old C172 out of a tin shed, jumping in, starting her up and gunning it from the hangar door to line up for a "wonder which way the wind is blowing" takeoff, dive bombing the neighbour's place because we can, finding on the pull up that the water in the fuel tanks causes the donk to splutter before it catches again, being forced to pull into an ag strip a bit further on to clear the sparrow's nest from behind the cylinders, doing a tank drain test this time and finding half a cup in one tank, gliding over a crest on the way home at 3' off the rocks with the treetops well above wing height, landing in front of Stewie's ute on the back road to take him up for some stock counting then dropping him back on the wrong road telling him his ute's "just over the rise but the wind's shifted so we had to land a bit further on", in actual fact 5kms away, and then landing across the strip into a good headwind because "it's easier to line up into the tin shed" for parking.

Guess that's one reason I have no real interest in flying circuits :-)

Archived