Do I need to reinstall Orbx products, after reinstalling P3Dv4.3 Client, Content and Scenery components?

I just updated my P3D installation to the latst, and followed the directions here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120861 It mentions that the Content and Scenery components are optional, but I reinstalled them anyway, just to be safe. Please note that I did not uninstall the P3D Professional item from Add/Remove programs, as I figured it contain all my purchased addons.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem that the orbx scenery is working after the update. The coastlines are not as sharp as before, for example, which would suggest that Vector isn't working. Do I need to reinstall orbx products again?

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Post number 10 in the linked topic specifically answers your

question and details exactly how to make sure it goes well.

I just tried to scroll down that page, and there dozens of numbered lists, including some in roman numerals. I don't see a number 10 though...

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Here is a link to post number 10

Thanks. I read the post, but it doesn't exactly answer my question. It outlines steps you should take before the update, whereas I have already performed the update.

I am just looking for a simple yes or no. Do I need to reinstall my orbx products, or not, considering the way I have already upgraded to P3Dv4.3

If you followed the steps as outlined, then the answer is no.

If you used another method, then the answer is yes.

If you did not delete the Orbx folder, then you can rename the

Versions folder and FTX Central will install only the missing files.

I am sorry that Elaine's excellent topic is not for you.

14 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I am sorry that Elaine's excellent topic is not for you.

Thanks for the insult. It's what I've come to expect of your customer service skills. I would be glad, however, to point out how these instructions are confusing. Here is a snippet from your link:

"Launch the FTX Central control panel and navigate to Global Base and or FTX Trees and click Install 

Precautionary:  Carry out steps A,B and C from above.  A: Force an Orbx libraries update.  B: Force a Migration.  C: Run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe

Additional Notes: 

• If you see a message "Missing files" when you run the Migration Troubleshooter please see INDEX 3.3  
  • Launch the FTX Central control after updating the Scenery component,  this action alone will check and verify the Orbx files "

Questions:

1. What exactly does precautionary mean in this context? That I should run it before the scenery steps, or after?
  2. Do I need to force a migration and run the migration troubleshooter after both the library update, and the scenery update?

The spacing, indenting, numbering and ordering of information on that link, is very haphazard, and hard to follow.

No insult was made or is intended.

The topic is excellent and does indeed address your question as well as pointing out

solutions if problems are encountered.

It was regrettable to me that you appeared not to wish to take advantage of it and I wrote that.

No more and no less.

We are on different sides of the world and from different cultures, sometimes the English language

is not interpreted in the same way in both cultures.

As I read it

1. Install FTX Global Base.

2. If you have HD trees install that.

The following steps are not required but as a precaution, they will will

rule out any errors in the files installed thus far.

3. Force an Orbx libraries update.

This will ensure that the scenery library entries are present and correct.

4. Run Force Migration

This will ensure that the files are all in the correct format.

5. Run the migration troubleshooter

This will reveal any missing items in the existing migrated files.

My apologies if I took it the wrong way.

I have attached two pictures to show why I was asking whether I need to run the migration step twice, after both library and scenery reinstall. As you can see, it is listed as an instruction twice in post #9, which is what post #10 directs you to.

I have run force migration and the troubleshooter a second time, just to be safe. Seems to look better now, but is there any way to know for sure, other than seeing the orbx libraries listed in the P3D Scenery Library window?

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 1.53.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 1.51.04 AM.png

If, when you had uninstalled P3D, you were left with all the folders, as described in the topic

You will also notice after you uninstall Prepar3D as well as the Orbx folder you will have many other folders like effects, weather, textures, sounds, scenery and so on in the Core prepar3D folder,  This is Normal.  These folders have all the Orbx files we need to complete this process    

then I would think all will be well.

If not, then to be absolutely sure, reinstall all the other products, using the delete version text method:

Go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions and delete the chosen "PRODUCT VERSION".TXT.

When you run FTX Central, the chosen product will show as Not installed. Click on its Install product icon and

follow the prompts.

FTX Central will check all the files and download any that are missing. 

23 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions and delete the chosen "PRODUCT VERSION".TXT.

So the instructions say: (A)  Orbx Libraries: Force an update of the "Orbx Libraries" by Deleting the version text file located below: FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

Just to make sure, when you say "PRODUCT VERSION".TXT, do you mean that I need to do this for all the products I purchased from Orbx, or just the file the instruction above mentions?

If you already have the Orbx folder and you only stop FTX Central from seeing the versions text files,

it will look for all the files and when it finds most of them, it will simply fill in the gaps.

If there are only a few gaps the downloading will be minimal.

Archived