YLIL (FSX) - incorrect circuits flown by AI traffic

First up - big fan of your products! I am a student pilot and have the Aus scenery pack, Trees HD, as well as most of the airports around Melbourne. Your scenery packs have been a boon for myself and my flying - especially YLIL, which is where I am conducting my training.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post. The traffic patterns for YLIL used by AI traffic in FSX appear to be incorrect; all circuits at this airport during daylight hours should be to the west (18 is right hand, 36 is left hand). AI traffic in FSX seems to fly circuits to the East during the day.

Not sure if AI traffic patterns are something you normally deal with (or if you do, whether it's something you even want to look at - YLIL is one of your free products after all), but thought I might draw your attention to it just incase.

I have attached a scan of up to date operating procedures out at YLIL for reference :)

Many thanks, and keep up the great work!

EDIT: just realized I posted this in the wrong place. Sorry!

YLIL Standard Operating Procedures.jpg

Hi James

The Lilydale scnery is basically unsupported as I understand it  However, there is a solution if you want to experiment yourself.

There are free airport and traffic designer programs you can download that let you manage the AI traffic.  many people do tweak their traffic files to suit themselves.

I would suggest googling the topic and hopefully you'll find a program that is easy to use and lets you configure the AI traffic to your liking.  There are various forums dedicated to freeware scenery design where you can also get help.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Most don't seem correct.  YMMB for example seems to put all traffic on the western runways (35L/17R,  31L/13R) even though the eastern (well 35R) are primary outside tower hours (during tower hours is the western runways for western departures and eastern runways for eastern departures and for circuits).  How I get around this is not ask ATC for takeoff clearance, then ask to land, then ask for a new runway.  This way it can put you on the correct one.  If there was some way to make 35R the primary this would be nice.

What's worse is only one of the tower frequencies is there, when the tower east and tower west have different frequencies (118.1 and 123.0).

7 hours ago, skydivemayday said:

Most don't seem correct.  YMMB for example seems to put all traffic on the western runways (35L/17R,  31L/13R) even though the eastern (well 35R) are primary outside tower hours (during tower hours is the western runways for western departures and eastern runways for eastern departures and for circuits).  How I get around this is not ask ATC for takeoff clearance, then ask to land, then ask for a new runway.  This way it can put you on the correct one.  If there was some way to make 35R the primary this would be nice.

What's worse is only one of the tower frequencies is there, when the tower east and tower west have different frequencies (118.1 and 123.0).

The limitations of the old FSX engine.  You should try Canberra, we get cross runways operating ad hoc, you can be cleared for final and watch a cross runway takeoff or landing cross the runway as you trundle on from the touchdown makers.

Most AI traffic is subject to some form of limitations leading to unreal behaviour, so I just live with it and don't sweat the small stuff.  In cases where I think the circuit should be the other side I just mentally switch the offending plane as though it was actually on my side of the circuit and make the necessary allowances.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:19 PM, John Dow said:

Hi James

The Lilydale scnery is basically unsupported as I understand it  However, there is a solution if you want to experiment yourself.

There are free airport and traffic designer programs you can download that let you manage the AI traffic.  many people do tweak their traffic files to suit themselves.

I would suggest googling the topic and hopefully you'll find a program that is easy to use and lets you configure the AI traffic to your liking.  There are various forums dedicated to freeware scenery design where you can also get help.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks John, I will take a look into a home brew solution.

Archived