Freeware airports for XP11 manual downloads not working

I would like to try the freeware airports for XP11, but don't want to use FTX Central to install them.  I don't want FTX to have access to or change my scenery order in my config file.  So, I downloaded the manual zip files.  But something seems wrong with them.  They contain numerous zip folders with long string number/letter names.  It doesn't seem that there are the actual airport folders and files in them anywhere.   How does one install them manually?  I run Windows 10.  

Hi Griphos,

Unless there is some magic that converts Airport Design Editor (ADE) designed airports to XP11 format  you won't be getting the freeware airports into XP11.  I and the rest of the freeware airport contributors haven't converted anything over to XP11.

Cheers, Neil

3 hours ago, Griphos said:

I would like to try the freeware airports for XP11, but don't want to use FTX Central to install them.  I don't want FTX to have access to or change my scenery order in my config file

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no other way to install the X Plane 11 compatible products.

Well, there are three freeware airports on the site listed for XP11, which is the three i downloaded and tried to install using the manual download option for MacOS or Linux.  I’m talking about those. And if those airports can’t be installed manully, then I guess I won’t be getting the payware airports either. 

I understand the need to insure against piracy. But there is no need for FTX to try to arrange the config file as it does in FSX/P3D. A simple naming convention, with “a-“ before airports, “y-“ before overlays and “z-“ before mesh files would work. As I understand it, the files already follow those conventions, and so will be placed in the correct order by XP when it starts. 

Hello,

if you mean the scenery_packs.ini file, perhaps if you don't want software to interfere with that file,

make a back up, allow the software to install and then use your expertise to delete the

new ini file and replace it with your own edited file?

Well, I’ll reinstall FTX (I don’t have P3D installed anymore on my new computer and don’t intend to), and test the FTX install procedure with the freeware airports to see what it does for myself. 

Okay, I installed FTX and added L52, ENOV, and ENHA to my Xplane through it.  

L52 just added an entry at the top of the config .ini (scenery_packs.ini) and didn't change anything else.  ENHA and ENOV added entries at the top of the config .ini for each airport and also added another entry placed randomly below in the config:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery//

This is an empty entry, and wouldn't hurt anything if I left it, but FTX really shouldn't add anything other than the airport entries.   You might want to look at why it adds these empty entries.  

Hi Nick,

I am not wanting to get invloved with the discussion as such, but an interesting issue is raised.

There are infact 3 freeware airports in the Orbx files (unsure why Niel Hill says their not or are they non functioning yet), but XP11 has a Scenery ini file in the XP Custom Scenery that places all scenery files.  This Scenery ini file can be a nightmare if scenery and libraries file are not correctly placed.  Unsure is this part of what is concerning Griphos, but does Orbx have a recommendation as to how the Orbx files should be placed in the XP Scenery ini file.  Does FTX incorrectly place the Orbx files (which maybe Griphos’s concern of using FTX).

Sorry to ask but it has raised a potential concern as the XP Scenery ini file can be a real pain and cause major issues if something isn’t placed correctly.

Regards

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Hi again, Nick.  Since this topic is still "active," I thought I'd add to it.  I bought and installed Pearson and Meigs Fields for XP.   The installer again added an empty entry for KVUO:  SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery//

So, some installers are still adding this unnecessary entry.  I don't believe it hurts anything, but it shouldn't happen.

In addtion, the installer put the Orbx library entry at the bottom of the list, below mesh entries (where it shouldn't be), and an overlay near the top of the list, where it also shouldn't be.  It also put what I assume is a mesh entry near the top, since it started with ZZZ, which would indicate you wanted it added near or at the bottom.  This is an example of what I was worried about.  Non-savvy users could have problems with where the installer adds entries, if scenery elements aren't read because they are listed out of order.   

Archived