Safe way to install FTX Netherlands

red_SYSTEMS

Recently I bought FTX Netherlands. I read before I bought this product, that the download will be around 77GB and around 120GB of data for the sim. I don't have a lot of disk space, so there are some challenge's. But it ending up a bit different then I expected.

First I just tried to download it via FTX Central V3.2, and see what will happend. This was doomed to go not to work, because my C drive way to low on disk space. Then I downloaded the manual installation file to my D drive. After more then six hours later, its was finished. Then I tried the manual installation, with FTX Central V3.2. But I ran into the same issue as when I want to download it via this software.

Then I entered the fastlane option to receive the FTX Central V3.3. I pointed then the temp folder to my flight sim disk. Where there is 150GB of free disk space. First went that well. But after that I got a message, not enough disk space. I looked at the disk space and I notice there was 120 GB less than before.

Then my idea was to move the temp file to my D drive. But I don't have enough disk space, so I removed the manual installation file. Then I closed FTX Central. But when I want to move the temp folder, it was almost empty. I was back at 0.

Then I decide to move my files between my disks to have just enough for a 77 GB download and twice 120GB for the sim and temp folder, split on three disk. So, I download the manual installation file again. I told my browser to download it to temp disk, but somehow my C drive was filling up with data, until no bytes was left. After I got some signs of corrupting data from other software on my computer I immediately canceled the download. After this I got some disk space again. So fare I have 3 programs with corrupt data, and it can still increase.

So I have two questions:

1. I know this one is not a ORBX problem, but maybe can someone explain my why my browser was filling up disk 1 when the download location was disk 2? I use Firefox
  2. Is there a safe way to download and install FTX Netherlands without filling up again my C drive?

I don't have FTX NLD TE (yet!). As far as Firefox downloads are concerned, I suspect it uses its own temp folder (your C drive) and *then* writes the file to its final destination when complete - deleting the temp file if successfully downloaded.

It may be worth trying a downloads manager - that will intercept the download and use its own (configurable) temporary locations. I use IDM (Internet Download Manager): cheap and extremely useful! Once IDM takes over the download, Firefox can be closed.

Adam.

Same experience.

Over 124 GB disk space on drive C filled with Temp data. Then the installation stops.

Very interested in a way to prevent this.

The scenery files should be installed on drive D with over 600 GB free space.

1 hour ago, Giebels said:

Same experience.

Over 124 GB disk space on drive C filled with Temp data. Then the installation stops.

In your settings there's an option to move temp download location to another location anywhere on your pc , I remember my c drive being 220gb and it was filled by the temp data when installing the product, however after the installation the temp data will clear from your c:drive and you will have the same amount off space in it as you did before, it's best to do it on another hard drive that has 500gb (to be safe) left on it. Try use it on an ssd if you can, it saves you hours off waiting, it did me. 

I'm using Ftx Central 3.3.0.2 the latest version, I'm not sure if that option in the settings was availalable for older versions off FC... That's what saved me... and be sure to use your most up to date shortcut if you keep having to apply the update. My old shortcut didn't go away for some odd reason.

After three days and corrupted files of four programs, I managed to install FTX Netherlands.

I downloaded the manual installation file with IDM, to be sure that my C drive won't will full up again, what corrupted some of my files. Then I pointed FTX Central temp folder on a disk with enough space, to later install it on my flightsim disk.

Only I got a new issue; Unable to open C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery.cfg for reading. I don't know (yet) if this caused by FTX or by corruption due low disk space. P3D v4 was closed all the times when it was installing.

5 hours ago, Giebels said:

Same experience.

In a newer version of FTX Central you can move the temp folder to a different disk. You can enter here for the fastlane to receive FTX Central V3.3 update earlier.

Archived