Future support for installs outside of P3D directory?

Perk

So Netherlands has just about filled up my 500gb P3D SSD and I'm starting to think about England and PNW and wondering how I'm going to manage.  While I certainly have no qualms about buying another drive and I've specifically been installing other addons to a different SSD, my Orbx directory alone is approaching 350gb. 

While I understand it would probably be  difficult to change the  folder structure and scenery.cfg entries for all the existing releases, I was wondering if there were any plans to support installs outside the sim directory for future releases?  Maybe create a separate "OrbxTrueEarth" folder structure with an FTX Central setting to allow installs on any drive/directory with appropriate scenery.cfg or add-ons.cfg entries?

Just now, Doc_Z said:

Search for "symbolic link" and that should provide an answer.

Yeah I've done that in years past but there are concerns about file system corruption and observed performance problems as every lookup requires two disk reads.  Tended to cause pauses when new scenery areas on the linked disc were loaded in and occasional micro stutters that I didn't get in areas on the main drive.  This is despite both sets of scenery being on (older 128gb) SSDs with identical IO performance and on the same SATA bus.  That's the whole reason I bought a 500gb SSD when P3Dv4 came out and have nothing else on that drive.  Little did I know we'd be going full photoreal a year later lol!

That 500 will run out real quick.

I sold off my near brand new 500's last year and invested in 2 Tb SSD's back then when they weren't so expensive. I took a look at the 4 Tb prices yesterday and will probably wait a little while for the prices to drop. 2 Tb should last me for a while yet.....

Frank

Archived