APB file and autogen elevation changes question

B77X

On arrival to an airport I had issues near the runway with autogen appearing floating in the air. I use v4, vas cannot be an issue. I have addon scenery for the airport. I disabled the Orbx apb file with the airport code in it, and the next flight I arrived and the autogen nearby did not appear floating. Am I seeing things or did that apb file cause the floating autogen?

Thanks

Hi David,

it's entirely possible that those Airport Background Polygon files contribute to the annoying issue of the floating autogen buildings (assuming we're talking about the particular issue that can be resolved by forcing a refresh of the scenery library). Those files contain the flatten polygons for the airport and the flattens become part of the local terrain mesh. The issue occurs when the sim loads blocks of autogen buildings ahead of the user aircraft but gets the reference elevation wrong; the more sources are assembled to generate a local terrain mesh the more likely such "hiccups" occur. 

Unfortunately, there's nothing you or I can do about this because those ABP files are an essential part of any airport.

Cheers, Holger

22 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi David,

it's entirely possible that those Airport Background Polygon files contribute to the annoying issue of the floating autogen buildings (assuming we're talking about the particular issue that can be resolved by forcing a refresh of the scenery library). Those files contain the flatten polygons for the airport and the flattens become part of the local terrain mesh. The issue occurs when the sim loads blocks of autogen buildings ahead of the user aircraft but gets the reference elevation wrong; the more sources are assembled to generate a local terrain mesh the more likely such "hiccups" occur. 

Unfortunately, there's nothing you or I can do about this because those ABP files are an essential part of any airport.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for explaining it. If that is true, is it better for the vector configuration tool to also disable the Orbx apb file for the airport code if the airport is disabled by the auto-scan tool? I'll start manually disabling the apb files for each addon airport scenery I have. But the scan tool could do this automatically for me.

Hi David,

I assume you mean the ABP_{ICAO}_Default.bgl files? If a third-party airport comes with its own flatten file then it will exclude the corresponding Vector "default" file meaning it's never used by the sim. If there is no custom flatten file then the Vector default file is required because it replaces the default airport flatten file that Vector itself excludes. In other words, deactivating any ABP_{ICAO}_Default.bgl file is not advisable because it either has no influence on the local terrain mesh (i.e., getting excluded by the third-party airport) or is required for proper display of that airport.

Cheers, Holger

Archived