KMRY (Overpasses/Floaters/+ Jitters)

Good day, just a fan requesting that a little investigation and attention be paid to KMRY Monterey scenery if/when another service pack is worked on.

1) Overpasses:  I don't think Aerofly performance would be affected much if some touch up could be paid to the inclusion of a few more 3D objects for bridges/overpasses.  There are some noticeable areas along CA-1 highway where they are missing; the vicinity of the airport is fine, but I note them missing as you travel further along the roadway north/south.  These are within the coverage area.

2)  Floating Grass/Buildings:  Grass on the airport grounds, particularly near the GA strip (10 L) is floating above ground level in my install despite recent patches and a reinstall of IPACS High-res DLC California.  Additionally, around the perimeter of the airport, I note a number of floating buildings.  Do others have this problem?

3)  Jitters:  For me, performance is pretty jittery over specific portions of the airfield (2D + VR).  Most notably the Eastern 1/2 of runway (10 L).   Despite a constant 60fps (Vsync on) and buttery smooth frames almost everywhere else I fly in AFS2 I get some significant frame skips.  I get this while on the ground or flying and the faster I am traveling the more fast paced the skips.  MyFPS actually shoots over the steady 60fps up into the 65-70 range and then oscillates up and down from there indicating to me some sort of issue.  I asked about this on the IPACS forums and responses indicated others didn't see the problem, but I am not convinced many really spent the time looking into it or isolating certain areas of the airfield.  Regardless, the oddity is real for me - system resources for CPU/Memory/GPU don't indicate a bottleneck and changing AFS2 to 120, 240, or Vsync off or using a differnt monitor does not rectify the problem.  I have dealt with FSX issues for way to many years to know that it sure seems something is not optimized......if this truly is a bug or issue with some scenery objects or data, then I don't want to see it make it's way into other Orbx Aerofly releases.

4)  Lighting:  Is the approach lighting really supposed to look like that?  Does Aerofly not have the objects for floating lights, these simply follow the topography and look odd.  Is this related to other height issues I am having with floating grass and buildings?

Thanks - respond if you have time!

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_01_20180318-000421.jpg

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_02_20180119-175007.jpg

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_03_20180118-203754.jpg

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_04_20180318-001333.jpg

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_05_20180318-001903.jpg

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_01_20180118-213103.jpg

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_03_20180318-000825.jpg

1 hour ago, uoutoftoon said:

3)  Jitters:  For me, performance is pretty jittery over specific portions of the airfield.................

[UPDATE]

So, after many flights of trying to pinpoint the issue, I can report that the Jitters are indeed isolated to the areas indicated in my post, but the troubleshooting setting on my machine that was the fix was toggling my Aerofly Terrain Image Quality down from "Ultra" to high.  When lowered to "High" the problem areas were smooth. (I'm running a GTX1060 at 4K).  I am posting this in the support area as I am convinced some quirk/conflict/texture in the KMRY scenery within the airfield puts my system over the limit?  I point this out as I honestly can run "ultra" Terrain Image Quality anywhere in Aerofly.  I have yet to encounter this jitter anywhere else, and that includes the rest of KMRY, LOWI, KCGX, and all of IPACS DLC's.  Orbx airports for Aerofly is still a new art and I would think ports of existing airports do have their idiosyncrasies.  Since we don't have a way to configure settings of the actual Orbx scenery in FTX Central, like we can in the FSX versions, then I cannot try adjusting things like resolution of grass, sound effects, AI traffic, etc. to find the culprit.  So, my best educated guess at this point is that the Ultra setting is the only one that calls for the highest quality of 3D grass or runway textures and that is what is putting my system over the limit.  Then again......it is only portions of the airfield, some views are just find, and we are not talking about frame rates dropping to the teens and single digits we are talking about a rock solid 60fps-Vsync On system suddenly jumping up and down between 60-70 for the duration of the jitters.  What causes this? 

• 4 months later...

All four sides of those white buildings - as seen in the fifth image posted here - flicker rapidly when I'm using my Oculus rift.  I have an i7-7700k and an Nvidia 1070.  It's really annoying.  So much that I have stopped using this region.

20 hours ago, HiFlyer said:
  • Check that you have the latest video drivers.
  • Check that all of your graphics cards settings are at default.
  • Disable ASW in the Oculus tray tool if you are using that.
  • Possibly delete and reinstall the scenery

I checked that I have the latest drivers.

I checked that all graphics cards settings are at default.

I tried disabling ASW in the Oculus tray tool.

I deleted and reinstalled the scenery.

I have exactly the same problem on my other PC (i7-6700k, Nvidia 1080ti).  I don't have the flickering on any other building except for that one type of building that I mentioned.  I also don't have this problem in any other ORBX or IPACS scenery.

I would be really surprised if I'm the only one who is having this problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jarrad and the gang at Orbx it's been a while with no fixes or patch.  I know eveyone is onto bigger and better things but if a moment can be spared to look at the issues reported at KMRY it would be greatly appreciated as it is a wonderful airport?  The flickering textures are pretty bad, and I am also getting decreased performance, something seems to up and I really don't think it is on my end as a reinstall didn't fix anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to IPACS/ORBX for providing KMRY Service Pack 2 - that fixed the flickering industrial buildings issue!

I still hope for a fix to the floating grass near the runways, added highway overpasses in the coverage area where missing, and maybe an optimization of the scenery.  I get weird framerate jumps (airport only) that are actually not manifesting by showing lower than 60fps in my vsync enabled setup, they are actually jumping up over the 60fps lock....so weird.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, uoutoftoon said:

Thanks to IPACS/ORBX for providing KMRY Service Pack 2 - that fixed the flickering industrial buildings issue!

Thank you for posting this and thanks Orbx for the pack! I decided to fly around KMRY for the first time in quite a while and noticed almost all bigger buildings flickering! Went to this forum, read your post, started FTX Central, noticed the updates, installed it, fired up AFS2: no more flickering! Yes!

I guess I should run FTX Central every once in a while... ;)

Archived