P3D v4 g2d.dll crash on scenario load

I am getting a g2d.dll related crash about 25% into a scenario load.  After days of scouring the P3D forums and google for possible causes I have drilled it down to something related to FTX Central (running v3.2.5.5).  First, it was hanging on "finding files to upgrade" so I found that thread and got that sorted out.  I can run the "delete generated files" bit in P3D and get the sim back working again, but the Orbx scenery is not loaded, although the scenery folders ARE present.  Once I figured that out I added KPSP manually and it seemed to work.  The minute I run FTX Central and it goes through its paces the crash problem returns.  At this stage, it would be reasonable to just add things manually again but it defeats the purpose of having FTX at all.  I am wondering what the program could possibly be doing to cause these crashes.  The LM forums are about useless with the "follow our troubleshooting steps" routine, the AVSIM forums go into the whole "g2d.dll crashes go way back to FS9" bit.  I get it.  Any number of things can cause that crash, but I've gone through the process of elimination and it points to FTX Central yet I cannot figure out what it is doing to break the sim.  Any ideas are welcome! 

My specs are Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit / Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8 Ghz / 16GB of RAM / NVIDIA GTX660 2GB VC.

Ok, good,

I would install all your products.

Then install the freeware scenery config editor.

Then start the troubleshooting process by opening SCE and unchecking/disabling the Orbx Libraries in the scenery library.

Start your sim and see what happens.

Also, could you please attach a copy of your active scenery.cfg?

Thanks

I found and downloaded the SCE.  I am currently in the process of "repairing" P3D v4, then I have to run "delete generated files" before I can run the sim again. This is probably the 4th time I've had to do this.   From there (hopefully) I will be able to run SCE and add the Orbx sceneries to the library per this post:

On 10/24/2017 at 4:59 PM, Smudger said:

Hello,

Here is the correct order of a properly configured Simulator Scenery Library, showing the locations of FTX products in relation to each other, other 3rd party software and default items:

If your scenery library does not look like this (or similar), in particular your FTX scenery entries, you can use FTX Central to set your "insertion points"

image.png

If I run FTXC at all after the repair and delete generated files, I will get the g2d.dll error on scenario load.  The sim will launch and I can choose a vehicle and starting point, but it will crash about 25% into loading the scenario every time.  The previous times when I did run FTXC it showed all my products as installed, but it did something else to cause the error and I have no idea what it could possibly be.  The last time I ran it all the scenery was showing as installed so I am hoping that all the folders will be where they need to be in order to add them into the library manually.

I would also before you run FTXC3 again, do an uninstall and reinstall of it as per the below topic.

Please do not add anything to the scenery library manually...if the main ORBX folder still resides in the root\main P3Dv4 folder then when you run FTXC3 it will write all the entries to the scenery library automatically. Then after you run FTXC3 and before you restart your sim, please attach a copy of the secnery.cfg from the C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4 folder.

Well, after the repair and delete generated files I verified that the sim did load and run.   I followed the instructions in the post and reinstalled FTXC.  Now the sim is broken again.  Scenery.CFG file is attached.

scenery.cfg

I also saved a copy of the file from before I ran FTXC in case you want to see that one as well.

Sure please, I would like to see the before scenery.cfg.....I can not see anything wrong with the one you attached.

You could also delete this entire folder "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4" and P3Dv4 will generate a new one on next start up, then run FTXC3 , then run the sim again.

So, on a hunch, I re-launched the sim but instead of trying to load the default scenario, I loaded up with the default F-22 at KPSP (the Orbx version).  It loaded fine and ran.  I did a quick hop over to KNZJ (El Toro MCAS).  After landing I changed locations back to Eglin AFB (the default location) and it crashed again.

Both scenery.cfg look perfectly normal, one default without Orbx and one with Orbx. 

I would delete this entire folder "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4" restart the sim and run it default for a bit to see if you get any crashes. Then if it seems good, run FTXC3 again to introduce the scenery.....then if it crashes again, use SCE to uncheck one Orbx item at a time before restart to see if you can find the culprit.

Imaginesim TJSJ and KLGA as well as FSDT KJFKv2 work fine.  Moving to the default KMIA causes a crash. 

I deleted the entire AppData folder, launched the sim and tried to load the default  scenario again: crash.  Tried to reload it at KPSP again and now it crashes.

I will respectfully disagree as the sim has not crashed under any condition for me until I run FTXC and install the Orbx scenery.  I am still at a loss as to what the problem could be. I unchecked all the orbx sceneries in the configuration tool and it still crashes if I try to load at a default scenery location. 

I thank you for your help anyway. 

Archived