FTX:GES Dresden (EDDC) - missing buidlings and weird textures

hawx2k

Hello,

in Dresden, Germany with FTX GES installed there are some buildings downtown Dresden missing (the soccer stadium and the "Glaeserne Manufaktur (VW factory)) and in the Northwest close to the airport (EDDC) there are textures not really fitting into the landscape where Globalfoundries (a chip plant) should be (see screenshots attached). I already deactivated JustSim Dresden and FreeMeshX and re-ran the migration tool to see if it fixes the issues, but it doesn't.

I also see these somehow wrongly aligned textures elsewhere (patches of textures that don't seem to really align with the adjacent landscape), but of course I don't know how it really should look like in reality in those cases. For the Globalfoundries factory I'm very sure it's wrong :).

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jan

1st screenshot: GLobalfoundries

2nd screenshot: Dresden downtown with missing stadium and VW factory

2017-12-29_7-36-4-380.jpg

2017-12-29_7-36-55-967.jpg

Hi Jan,

thanks for the feedback.

In the \ORBX\User Documents folder you'll find a document named FTX_EU_GES_Germany_South.kmz that you can load into Google Earth. I'll show you which buildings and objects in GES were modeled with custom buildings. For Dresden, the Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion and Gläserne Manufaktur, aren't included. We placed the "foundations"/parking areas but then didn't have any suitable "generic" objects to place on them and thus left them empty. For each FTX Region we have a limited budget for custom models and other features and GES is already the Region with the most landmark objects. Perhaps one day there will be a dedicated Dresden "Cityscape" add-on and/or some of our users may contribute their own models.

The odd color transitions near the airport are where "winter" and "hard-winter" ground textures join during December (and February, I believe). According to the climate data we used for creating the custom seasons control file for FTX GES the Elbe Valley around Dresden is the southern tip of a slightly warmer and thus less snow-prone area. The edges are rather harsh but they are set by the blendmask files for those agricultural landclass textures.

For industrial areas like the Globalfoundries we're limited to placing generic industrial landclass, which doesn't always align with well with their actual orientation and composition. I've made a note to perhaps do some local fine-tuning in that area for a future service pack.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

many thanks for your detailed response and explanation. I can only imagine how difficult it is to render reality in a sim as closely as possible. It's always a balancing act, and I understand that compromises need to be made. 

I am very happy with FTX GES, so kudos to the team. And as far as Dresden goes - I guess it's always challenging when you know a place by heart - you will then always find shortcomings :). So, I appreciate you taking my input into account.

Thanks a lot and einen Guten Rutsch :).

Jan

Archived