Just a thought on tyre marks on the the latest airprt launches

Alexander Metzger

Dear ORBX development team,

Before I start my comments on a specific airport design element, I would like to express how much I enjoy your landscape and airport sceneries. Now that my FSX is running very well even with high quality planes and such detailes seceneries like yours, I find myself most of the time flying "down under". Absolutely stunning experience.

The following is an observation from a pilots point of view and is meant as a reflection from a customer of yours who would like to propose an improvement to the impression I experience while on ground. It is about tyre marks on runways and taxiways.

You have lately introduced those tyre marks in the areas where planes do enter/leave runways or at taxiway intersections. For sure you can find such distinct marks on all airports, especially if they handle a lot of traffic of heavies. For airprorts like YSTW or YHBA, the biggest planes are jets like B737 or A320 and turboprops like Dash-8, most of it is much smaller and lighter. All of them have single axis main gears and they leave far less rubber on the ground than heavies in a tight curve. So I have collected below some screenshots who show the CRJ at YSTW and the Caravan at YPMQ demonstrating that those tyre marks to my taste are much too pronounced and partially misplaced. giving a kind of artifical impression which from my point of view is destracting.

You have done a wonderful job in creating taxiway and runway surfaces which give a very realistic impression of speed and movement which is supporting the limited visual experience in a sim. So I applaude you for that, but may I propose to rework those tyre marks on your latest designs?

Best regards, Alexander

Posted Image

YSTW: basically a good impression, just a bit too much ahead of the R

Posted Image

Pilots do follow the yellow lines and that would give marks like within the wheel span, not left of it. In addition when entering runways you would go much more straight in versus my picture to align more far right. Then there you can find marks mostly from the inner wheel.

Posted Image

These marks below the left wing look like caused by a Jumbo Jet turning off the runway.

Posted Image

Same as above just this time leaving the runway following the yellow line which is typical procedure.

Posted Image

Just to visualise wheel span versus marks.

Posted Image

Looks very artificial at such an intersection used by small planes only.

Posted Image

Even more mismatched here as this is the GA entry point on runway 12L/30R. Or did a car race happen there lately .-)

Posted Image

Again showing were marks would apear from the main gear.

Posted Image

YPMQ: Now this is really artwork done by drift racers.

Posted Image

Too strong in contrast being a small airfield with light planes only.

Posted Image

Same as above. Just to demonstrate that they look artifical.

Posted Image

Same as above. Just to demonstrate that they look artifical.

Posted Image

Even from a cockpit perspective look strange to me.

Our tyre marks are based on what we can see from the air at real airports. For example, here's Coober Pedy Airport, probably one of the remotest airports in Australia, which certainly does not take large commercial jets etc.

Notice the heavy tyre markings? That is typical of the sort of marks you wil see at all airports, large or small.

Also note that not all pilots are as precise as you, and indeed often will taxi off the yellow lines and drop rubber during their turns which are not executed consistently each time.

If you're not happy with the markings, then you can use the control panel to disable them :)

Personally, I love the markings and if I had the choice to keep them or remove them it's a no brainer for me. It looks so much better with them there.

post-1-13020406643_thumb.jpg

John, you provided an excellent example which what I have on my mind.  :)  If we could have such shades cross the tracks and some stonger markes in the specific turn areas, I would be very much pleased. They help so much for the imperssion of rolling speed and  steering angle.

Now is this possible to do versus the single marks that I showed in my examples? And I hope you can agree that the marks in reality go along the most often rolling tracks of the tyres on all the tarmac and runway/taxiway system, with the variation in main gear span of course?

what Hugh meant is the tile shape on the RWY that shows on your screenies, hence if you apply the Tarmac setting with the AERO tool they probably as by "Magic" will go away and things would start to look a wee bit better, unfortunatly I cannot show a screenie of it as I'm at "work" and don't have accesss to my flightSim here.

Archived