good publicity for ORBX

petejohno

IRRITATED

I was just now logged into AVSIM and read the thread linked to above. I decided to add a post, but when I hit the "Post" button an error was shown. It turns out that they had removed the thread before I had a chance to upload my reply. Obviously the subject matter, praising FTX, ruffled a few feathers. For what it's worth (not much), in case anyone is interested, here is what I wrote that never went anywhere. I know it is wasted here since I am just singing to the choir, but if anyone is encouraged by it, it won't be entirely useless.

IMHO there is nothing else that even begins to approach the level of excellence in FS as attained by FSX - not even close.  I can't be bothered flying anywhere but Australia, at least until they release FTX Pacific Northwest. I don't intend to be unkind, and I am appreciative of earlier efforts, but non FTX areas, with or without replacement textures, just looks far too phony and Mickey Mouse.

Truth be known I think that FTX probably equals or exceeds what might have come down the road with FX12, two full generations after the original FSX product, and substantially beyond even what was invisioned for the cancelled FX11 version. I think that the only people who would completely disagree with me are those with vested interest in something else, or those who do not have FTX, or the equipment to run it, and therefore don't care or know any better.

That does not mean that I am an ORBX fanboy, for I have no connection with FTX other than loyalty derived from simple satisfaction. The fact is, ORBX deserves our support because they have have earned it the hard way by delivering far, far more for the simulation scenery addon dollar than anyone else, period (IMHO). I challenge others to rise above petty jealousy and resentments and run not just to catch up , but to pass them.

Like others said, download their demo FTX AU Blue for Tasmania at http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html. That is just a taste of what it is like to fly in such a real life-like world.  

Stephen

UnQuote

why would they delete it? I read it and the replies and nothing was untoward. I just cant seem to think of a reason, Are AVSIM supporters/partners with some other scenery company???

Jason, I don't know what the AVSIM problem is, but I just posted a new thread called "Advanced Simulation" in support of the missing thread.

Stephen  

Why didn't they just edit the thread to remove the video or offending content leaving the thread intact as well as sending a PM to the person it just smacks of typical Avsim methods of dealing with ORBX praise/product mention that I have come to see but that is just my opinion and observation.

I am totally oblivious to the avsim/orbx issues, has this happened before, I admit that I go onto teh avsim forums maybe for a total of 3 minutes a year, So I am completely ignorant to anything regarding this.

I was one of the posters on that thread and i too was surprised to see it "disappear" :o

I also think it may be related to some "issues" they seem to be having lately on their forums - they seem to be getting certain developers "hi-jacking" threads regularly and the mods are trying to re-establish their authority, and some sort of order over there.

I just think they are a little sensitive at the moment and in giving them the benefit of the doubt would hope that it is nothing to do with Orbx/Ftx specifically.

Will it turn out to be an innocent mistake? I  hope it does. When someone close to/with ORBX first posted on AVSIM about the amazing, transforming products that ORBX were offering, the thread was pulled from AVSIM as it was against their policy to allow publishers to promote their products. Does this policy now extend to enthusiastic, grateful flight sim fans who just want others to share in the experience that the ORBX products offer. 

Tom

Will it turn out to be an innocent mistake?

Tom

Its not a mistake at all - Rightseater (the mod) openly accepts that the thread has been hidden due to the OP breaking their forum rules regarding video and to quote him:

"There's no feathers ruffled, and absolutely no reason for the thread being temporarily hidden other than the fact that it was a violation of the AVSIM rules for posting videos"

Again, I believe its more related to the politics of re-establishing order than a vendetta of some sort versus Orbx/Ftx - the last few days have been an interesting ride over there :-X

I am also very disappointed with AVSIM.

I was told that my Orbx logo was too big. What a joke!

Are they aware that Orbx is the best of the best even if some of their members/scenery developers can't accept it?

It's really sad to see AVSIM deleting posts about sceneries that really improved fsx forever.

Even it it was not, it's certainly questionable. Why?

I agree 'Jose. They seem to have double standards even though I am willing to accept their latest excuse for deleting an FTX thread. I see the Eaglesoft developer Ron rabbiting on ( quite forcefully at times ) about his latest release when I remember some previous comments from FTX developers were quickly nipped in the bud because of " forum rules". Their failure to get behind an obvioulsy superior product, because of advertising revenue, is not in the interest of the flight sim community. When PNW is released, with the reaction that I am sure that it will receive, Avsim will only be able to ignore the majority at their own peril.

I see the Eaglesoft developer Ron rabbiting on ( quite forcefully at times ) about his latest release when I remember some previous comments from FTX developers were quickly nipped in the bud because of " forum rules".

Ron Hamilton rabbits on all the time he's just a WOFTAM in all it's glory as I have had my fair share of topics deleted and images of screenshots removed when showing VC shots trying to clear up issues. The guy just can't handle constructive criticism or being asked questions about things he has to answer admitting his product is below par. I just don't bother with him any more nor his product and AVSIM seem to harbour his kind and protect them behind there walls but that is just my opinion.

In my opinion I think ORBX have had a raw deal for what ever reason you can't mention FTX's product or show images without it for what ever reason breaking forum rules. Sure they have done some great reviews of ORBX products but that is only a small part. The chit chat on a forum to show case how good the FTX product is or share your excitable images and chatter about FTX just seems to turn into vapour ware so double standards do seem to be in play at Avsim in my opinion.

Archived