NRM airport accuracy in v4 Orbx

Hello Nick,

Very much appreciated your pointer to the ADE correction for incomplete taxiways and as a user of that program tried valiantly to correct some of the other 

variants that appear in other airports in NRM with mixed results. 

As a specific, CYLM-Kelowna not only suffered the taxiway problem but shows a runway length of 7412 +/- feet whereas my information indicates it's actually 8900 ft ... also the actual elevation is indicated to be 1421 feet but shows as 1380.9 ft on the simulator.

An airport building is lodged squarely across one of the taxiways and I couldn't identify its existence from the ADE listings so it could be removed and I guess it has to remain.

My reason for writing is one of inquiry.  Are these airports created by LM (seems obvious) and are they altered by Orbx?  Who would make any corrections is the question?

All the best,

Ken  

At Kelowna, the north end of the runway has an elevation of 1420' asl and the south end of the runway being 1370' asl. As P3d currently doesn't do so well with sloped runways, they use an in between elevation and compromise to make it work. 

Hello Ken,

I went to CYLW instead and saw the taxiway problem.

I don't see a building where it should not be but I do see trees where they should not be.

image.jpg

I fixed the taxiways but not the trees, there are a couple of them on the taxiway too.

image.jpg

It would appear that this is the same in FSX and has remained under the radar for a long time.

image.jpg

Morning Nick,

Thanks for the reply and corrections.  I have marked the "Long" building (see orange arrow) lodged over the Taxiway and it may be autogen because I couldn't find it in the lists ...? 

Can you advise me how best to handle the elevations when you decide to change airport elevations where Orbx has an elevation change in the "World" scenery file as is the case with CYLW Kelowna.  As you know ADE  will also add an altitude "stub" in World if you change stock elevation and by the time you mess with them both, suicide starts to look like a good solution :blink:

Sorry, not trying to turn Orbx forum into an ADE tutorial but I'm not sure how you control elevations  when what you insert collides with other players adjustments ...

e.g. say if you change CYLM elevation do you delete Orbx's change in "World" and if that's correct is it done in FTX Configurator?

Maybe there is some forum info on how to use and/or remove Orbx elevation changes without saying goodbye to the scenery around the airport ...

I think I remember you straightening me out on a similar issue a while ago but I've been away from the science long enough to currently forget how to handle elevation nightmares.

The other problem with Kelowna is the shortened runway length ... it's the big airport in the BC interior and they need all the runway (8900 feet) they can get for the bigger jets flying in there.

BTW your forum opener re the taxiways fix was a home run.

All the best,

Ken 

Kelowna.png

Hello again,

if you change the elevation of a default airport, ADE writes the new elevation adjustment (ALT)

file straight to the scenery\world\scenery folder. 

If there is already one there from another addon, in this case the FTX airport, then you can disable it

by renaming it to .off.

This will make a complete mess of the FTX airport unless you also alter the elevation of the flatten.

You can't do this unless you have the airport source files, so the only way would be to make a new flatten,

a new airport background and a new exclude for the default airport background.

To be honest, even after that it may not look right and I would suggest that it is probably not worth the effort. 

I made a new exclude autogen flatten but if I select airport background 1, it is brown.

I used the "grass" landclass but I see this instead.

Untitled.jpg

However, you can see that the long low buildings are scenery objects, now that all the autogen has gone.

You would need to open the airport and then import its buildings bgl to see them in ADE.

Archived