FTXCentral does not see P3D v4.1

joefremont

I have a problem where FTX Central does not recognise that I have P3D v4.1 installed.  Here is the procedure I followed.

First before installing 4.1 I renamed my old install to "Prepar3D v4.old" and did a full install of 4.1, this created a new "Prepar3D v4" folder.

I then moved the ORBX folder from the old 4.0 folder to the new 4.1 folder and started FTXCentral, it can see the FSX Steam install and the P3D v3 install but not the P3D v4 install.

I rename the new install "Prepar3D v4.new" and the old install back to "Prepar3D v4" and moved the ORBX folder back into it can now FTX Central can see it.

I have joined the fastlane and have FTX Central 3.2.3.0 installed.

37 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Joe,

is there a good reason why you didn't just follow the Lockheed Martin method to update?

In the past the updates have not always worked well for me, so when updates come out I prefer to do a fresh install.

This also allows me to switch back when I discover that one of the add-on's I rely on does not work properly yet.

For future reference, the client update is only 201 mb.

The idea is that you uninstall the existing client, using the Windows control panel,

making sure not to deregister it.

Then install the new client.

This process takes about two minutes.

If you kept the previous version, the exact same process will revert back, also in two

minutes, to the version you had before.

It is not for me to comment on how you spend your time but from a P3D v4 point of view,

installing everything again is totally unnecessary and in this case, also the cause of your

problem with FTX Central.

So what your saying is FTX will work if I install P3D 4.0 and upgrade it to P3D 4.1 but not if I install P3D 4.1 fresh.

And actually you would have to uninstall all three parts (client, content and scenery), which really does take some time.  Its is much quicker to just move the old install out of the way and install fresh.  Lockheed does not seam to have a problem with this method.

No, I am saying that if you do not follow the LM method of uninstalling first and then reinstalling, it will not work.

I am also saying that it is particularly easy and trouble free to achieve what you want without the need to ignore

the LM instructions.

Nick I stand corrected.

I have worked as a software engineer in Silicon valley for many years and figured I knew the difference between a clean install and an upgrade but though I should do my due diligence and try it.  I ran the uninstall, removed the remaining v4.1 installed files (I still want a fresh install after all).  Re-installed and FTX could see it.

I still think FTX has a problem for anyone who re-installs to repair a damaged setup will run into the same problem as I have had but for now I think I am running.

Thanks.

Archived