When updating P3D, does that have an effect on OrbX products?

Sethos

Hey,

I was wondering, when you update Prepar3D, it's an involved process of removing components (Client, Scenery & Content -- Depending on what has been updated) and then installing the latest versions. I was wondering, given how some OrbX products replace core P3D files, will that have an effect on something like FTX Global Base? or are those files left completely untouched? or is FTX Central 'smart' enough to know if files have been corrupt / reverted and then repair it, so to speak?

I'm asking since I've never updated P3D, always done full installs. However, given that 4.1 is lurking in the horizon, as some developers are holding off with releasing products because of that update, having just re-installed, I figured I'd update this time. 

Hello Sethos

Regarding Orbx products......

Client:  Updating the Client will require no further action really,  Just launch the FTX Control Panel, this action will check and verify the files 

-----------

Content:  Updating the Content component will require you to do 2 things 

1) Force an update of the "Orbxlibs" by Deleting the version text file located below, it will look like this  FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT  

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX  User Documents ► Versions ► FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

Launch the FTX Central control panel, this action will prompt you to reinstall\update Orbxlibs,  Click the blue box  (Bottom left corner)  

2)  Run the Migration Troubleshooter to Insure the Integrity of the Orbx Files, at the location below

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► Troubleshooter ► Migration Troubleshooter.exe

-----------

Scenery: Updating the Scenery update will require you to Reinstall Orbx Global Base.  FTX trees does also overwrite default files but the FTX control Panel should verify these when launched.  As FTX trees is only a small download there is no harm to run the download again anyway

Also carry out step 1 and 2 from the above,  Force an Orbx libraries update and run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe

----------------------------

For more on this scroll down to INDEX 3 in the link below 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Hello Elaine

Troubleshooter is not taking care of the latest ORBX products as e.g. Germany North or LC South America, at least they are not listed in the output scenery list.

Is there an upgraded version of Troubleshooter planned?

Cheers

Greg

Edited by GregSwiss

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just updated to P3D v4.5 (client, content, and Scenery) I ran through the procedures for ORBX in the second post in this thread, but when I ran the migration Troubleshooter it tells me "FTX Global" has "missing files". The file "migration_missing.txt" on my desktop lists almost sixteen thousand files like this:

Files requiring migration:
FTX Global
    Scenery\World\Texture\000b2lm1.bmp
    Scenery\World\Texture\000b2su1.bmp
    Scenery\World\Texture\001b2an1.agn

Except there are almost 16000 of these all in Scenery\World\Texture\

Any idea why this is and how I can fix it. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Global Base Pack and FTX Trees from the latest FTX Central and still the same problem.

Thanks,

Jim

13 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

Did you migrate the files first?

I did a "force migration" under "settings" in FTX Central AFTER I did the P3D update. is that correct?

BTW, I did delete FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT  and I ran the update from the blue box on the bottom left, just as the instructions say.

Edited by ArJunaZ

I just went in and searched the texture directory for the files it says are missing and a few of them that I checked for are there, so maybe there is no problem. I may take that migration_missing.txt files and run a script on it that checks for the existence of each files, unless you think the error message is just a known fluke.

Thanks Nick.

It took me a while to get P3D running. P3D v4.5 full update had deleted a few directories that included a few of my non-ORBX scenery files and was throwing errors and refusing to start. I managed to find a backup and easily repair those.

I just took a flight out of Santa Barbara where everything around me is 100% ORBX and it looks great. Frame rates seem improved too.

Your help is much appreciated. I'm still curious why I get the missing files error.

Cheers,

Jim

• 2 years later...

i just learned that P3DV5.3 has been released, and I plan to update the Client, Scenery, and Content in the near future.  I also have a number of Orbx files installed, including KHVN, KEGE, Global Vector, Global Base, Global Open LC-NA, and the Orbx Airport Pack freebie.  Can I just UNINSTALL all of the Orbx FILES, then uninstall the 3 components of P3DV5.2 and replace with V5.3, and then REINSTALL all of the Orbx files mentioned above.  While it sounds like a lot of work, but I would think I would be doing a clean install.