Mid air collisions with nothing over NZNI

supertemp

Hi I have the ORBX FTX NZ North Island scenery installed in P3D.

I frequently have mid air collisions with nothing while flying around the North Island. e.g

Last night flying the Duke Turbine from NZHN to NZWK I crashed at 21000ft into nothing. It's not isolated to this route, I often fly around NZAR, as well as many other airports in the north island and will often get these crashes at all sorts of altitudes with various GA planes.

There's nothing up there. I am not flying the plane incorrectly. 

I have to disable crashes to prevent this.

Is this a known problem? I have had this on 2 computers and have reinstalled as well (P3D from scratch, not just FTX). 

I'm surprised I don't bump into you around NZAR - that's my default airport!

Yes - it's a known issue - and true of many ORBX areas. There are simply way too many "stray" objects to try and debug. The general recommendation is to keep collision detection off. I don't think it's any great loss for immersion or realism, IMHO.

NZNI/NZSI may suffer slightly more from this issue than other areas, as I think the desity of hand-placed objects is higher in NZ than anywhere else in the ORBX world - it's why I like it so much!

Adam.

Thanks Adam,

I do that, but I also use FSP and it always ticks the realism back on.

So the normal checklist is start the FSP job, then go into settings and untick the realism options, but I forgot, my crash happened and my pilot was killed. 

I checked my FSP db backups and because of a hard drive failure last week I only have one from november last year so I lost 8 months of flying :(

It's frustrating, I have killed so many pilots because of this. Why are the objects at 21000 ft? There's nothing that can be done by orbx? I would prefer if we could keep the realism on tbh.

If you use FSE you probably *do* bump into me, I am often ferrying jobs around that neck of the woods.

You may need to search these forums. I seem to remember this FSP-related issue coming up before and there's a workaround of some kind.

I also have FSP, but haven't re-installed it in P3Dv4 yet. As and when I do, I might also find that "fix". I do remember making frequent backups of my FSP pilot logs, though!

Adam.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, supertemp said:

What I am hitting at 21000 ft?

Hello,

I was not involved in FTX NZ in any way but one possibility comes to mind; it turns out that if there is a tilted platform associated with an object, it can cause the crash behavior far above the object. To check for this you would need the precise lat lon(s) where the crash(s) occur. With these you can find out what's directly underneath the crash location. If there is a suspicious object you can then check to see if it has a tilted platform. One example might be a seaplane ramp which is 'hardened'.

Archived